Fly Tying
willowhead

Tin Palace

For the story behind this fly, (way to long to re-tell here......... :D ) go to the Lodge page (FTF) and read the "ONE FLY Tournamnet" thread..........enjoy. ;)

This little feller has possibilities. You could almost say a MOM from Picasso :rolleyes:

Dang Bob.........Pablo was and IS one of my favorite ALL-TIME artist (paint/sketch/sculpt) of those mediums, ever.........top three for sure. Course i have Spanish roots on my fathers side..........so. :D Prolly the one and only place i'd ever live in Europe........LOVE it there...........now Scandanavia.........thass another story. :P .......LOVE it THERE too. :yahoo: If i had been single back in the 80's...........well, never mind..........i wasn't. :rolleyes: and don't even get me started bout Brazil...................HOLLY...................better go to the 11th commandment. :hyst: Edit Thy ****. :lol2: .......... ;)

Tkx. Phil, but i think it actually should of been just a tad larger.....i'da liked it if it had gone back just a bit more as well, and a larger feather set would of done that. Oh well........i doubt the fish will mind. Long as i present it right.....they'll take it. :) mark

Wow, Mark, this fly is terrific! Definitely has a MOM/spey-style look to it. Possibly my new favorite, of the flies you've posted. I love how Bob described this fly ("You could almost say a MOM from Picasso"). I see it too. Very nice.

I can't wait to see how your piece of art is converted into a fishing fly. :cheers: :clapping:

Thankx Ray.....i'll definately let you know how it does when we get back Sun. night.

no puter service where we're stayin'........so. Talk to you then. mark.....

Mark,

I just replied to your other posting and I actually like this fly even more.

This one is really something unique. Willowhead style applied to MOM proportions.

I hate to critique but the head doesn't look quite as nice as some of your other flies. (not bad but I have become used to seeing some really nice heads from you. Did you run out of Sally Hansens?)

Artistically you are going were no one else has gone and that is the point of art isn't it?

Thanks for posting this one.

Funny thing happened with the head...........originally i wasn't tyin' the fly to fish with nessessarily...............then, i decided to use it in this ONE FLY Tournamenet we did earlier today. (and the fly caught fish.......Bows.......but nothin' over 14 inches, winnin' fish was 15 and a half inches. ).....well, when i decided to use it for the tournament........the fly was finished all except for the head...............so, i decided to put some super glue on the head to help hold the gut, just in case...........cause i hadn't tyed the gut in very far down the shank. After i had clued the head, (over primrose Danville 6/0).....all i could think of to do was just put some black laquer on it...........but the only black laquer i had/have.....is VERY old, and way to thick........and it just wouldn't smooth out nice...........and that's when i posted the pic. Later, i put some Salley's on it and it looked great. But you outta see that head now........it's "Mangled." :hyst: But the eye held just fine. The fly has been retired now into the Hat from the tournament........and dig. The tournament was really cool......the gave us Hats, t-Shirts, and a KILLER lunch after the fishing......and a "Goodies Bag" with all kinna "Stuff" in it. :D No biggie.........waterproff tape measure, key-chain, stickers, etc...... :P Very low key event but a hell-of-good-time. Food was DYNOMITE! We fished the White River below Beaver Lake Dam.....that's where the White is still runnin' north to Table Rock in Missouri..........from there it dumps ouuta Table Rock and then runs into Tannaycomo then dumps out and runs into Bull Shoals and back into Arkansas and then it dumps outta Bull Shoals just down the street hear where we live. Today was a GREAT day.....Herons EVERYWHERE.........fish jumpin' like KArazy, Perfect weather........."Something Else."

Thankx for the nice comment bout my flies........i'm gonna keep workin' on 'em.....and try to improve my ability. mark..... ;)

Btw, for me Art's bout maintainin' a continueum of tellin' the TRUTH........through my own experience.........if i do that.....the rest will take care of itself.

Mark, this fly is Disco! :kicking: A real knock out! :boxing:

I know your going for the art thing with your flies, but this fly has the potential to take more salmon in Alaska than the pebble mines.

A winner for sure. The subtle blue is a welcome surprise.

TKX. O.H., it caught fish yesterday on the White in Eureka Springs, Arkansas.........that part of the river is where it comes outta Beaver Lake (reservoir) and flows north outta Arkansas into Missouri before dumping into Table Rock, and then outta there flowing south again into Tanneycomo and then outta there flowing into Bull Shoals on the way back into Arkansas and finally outta Bull Shoals where it becomes the "Famous" White River everyone knows about. It's an unbelievable system. Four HUGE lakes along it's path, Bull Shoals bein' the largest of all. The road in front of our Lane, (that crosses our Lane), leads you to, and takes you over the dam bout three miles from where we live. We can walk there anytime and look at the FANTASTIC view from the top of the dam. Hope you can come and visit sometime. mark..... ;)