Fly Tying
Claudia

My first Fly tying film

Nicely done video and an impressive fly. Was that a crochet stitch to weave the body of the fly? Thanks for posting.

Hihi, i needed to look that up in the dictionary and google crochet stitch... and now that i know what that means i can answer you... I dont dare to say what im doing...:rolleyes: ...

I learnd to tie my self and gues i have my one way of doing it .... :D

2 strings one light under and one dark on top of the hook... kind of a loop to loop system...

Sorry, but thats my best answer. You can see what im doing at the link here;

WOW! nicely done! Now Im not much of a trout guy (only when forced!) Im guessing its a dry if so Id love to see a pic of it at water level through a glass full of water. If it's not a dry never mind like I said I do not know crap about trout flies. Great Video!!! Im going to have to try tying with out a bobbin now!!!

Here's a pic, how it works in water. ( wings and hackle rest on the surface but the body sinks like a rock....

Too be secure its floats as a cork during fishing its best to grease it up pretty good.

Must ask :rolleyes: ... if u dont fish for trout what do u fish for?

Mostly smallmouth pike carp largemouth bass steelhead (androminous rainbows) salmon (just a little) Mostly warmwater fish. Ive been doing more and more fishing for trout lately but Id take a carp or a smallie any day over just about any trout. Great Pic! Thanks!!!

That was a great video. I would like a half dozen please.

:P Adress and i send some right away.

Don't tempt me :P . By the way, the music was great too.

Thans to all ya people for great the respons my fly got.

Youre all to kind.

:wub:

Claudia,

Very nice, thank you.

Now I can tell my coworkers that this evening I will be occupied with "Flugbindning" and watch their expressions.

I will wager not one person at the FF shop knows what it means.

Regards,

FK

If that was your first fly tying video I cant wait for more....hurry hurry I'm tired of watching the politicians on TV give me more tying videos like that.

Great tie !!!!

I watchesd both video's and I still don't get it . I think I may just need to practice the weave. On my way to the store to pick up a crochet hook. :rolleyes:

Do you weave the body for durability or looks? Keep up the good work

Jon

Great tie !!!!

I watchesd both video's and I still don't get it . I think I may just need to practice the weave. On my way to the store to pick up a crochet hook. :rolleyes:

Do you weave the body for durability or looks? Keep up the good work

Jon

Jon

:shifty: Thats funny, how shopping for tools can put an end to anything...

Maby better of stealing a hook from an old lady.... ;)

I do woven bodys on nearly al small flyes. Find it oldschool, durable and makes anything look great.

It took me about 6 month to work out how to do it.... But it's no big deal ones you got the hang of it.

Perhaps it's no big problem for you but I don't think my mechanics hands are ready for that yet. i will begin my stretching excercises and nthen practice practice practice.

by the way is there an easy way to taper the weave I notice that it starts and stops rather abruptly, any ideas??

I think i should drop by my moms' house and scoop her hooks :rolleyes: :devil: :ph34r:

Cheers

Jon

P.s. I'm Jon G too.

Jon

Now thats a great idé to ask youre mom :)

Hm...

I tryed to sort that out... but no great results on the tiny hooks.... on bigger hooks you can build a cone shaped body up, under the weave... im new at fly tying, so i dont have the right answer to that. Sorry.

Granny Weave

A great video Claudia and a creative fly. Your technique is smooth and relaxing to watch. I was trying to pay attention to the movement and as far as I can tell the weaving pattern is close to this (granny weave) but a bit different. I use this weave quite a bit and usually use a needle as it helps. I like to run flash (usually a shiny embroidery yarn) along the sides with a chenille or dubbing rope on the top and bottom. Just changing the two materials can really give the tier a lot of different shapes and tapers. Again, refreshing video. Hope to see more.

Jon G. - I don't know what it is, but every time you post a reply I get thirsty.

Granny Weave

A great video Claudia and a creative fly. Your technique is smooth and relaxing to watch. I was trying to pay attention to the movement and as far as I can tell the weaving pattern is close to this (granny weave) but a bit different. I use this weave quite a bit and usually use a needle as it helps. I like to run flash (usually a shiny embroidery yarn) along the sides with a chenille or dubbing rope on the top and bottom. Just changing the two materials can really give the tier a lot of different shapes and tapers. Again, refreshing video. Hope to see more.

Jon G. - I don't know what it is, but every time you post a reply I get thirsty.

Old Hat.

Thank you for shine a light :)

I will try youre advise about how to taper for a more smooth beginning.

My style is as you can see home made...

A year ago i bought a fly with a woven body and i went home and cut it up and from that i tryed learning how to do it. And To be tru... I dont have any idé if its right or wrong. But i gues that's some of the charm ;)

Claudia

Claudia, there is no right or wrong in creative fly tying. A person's tying style is their signature. You're doing great, and I wouldn't change a thing if I were you... unless it is from your own inspiration.

I can't tell you how many flies I've torn apart to find out how they were tied.

If you want a taper, you can try to use a material that will stretch a little. Then stretch it tighter where you want a small diameter and loosen it up a bit where you want the body bigger.

I'm afraid you have got the tying affliction. We're all addicts here. It's OK.

Claudia, there is no right or wrong in creative fly tying. A person's tying style is their signature. You're doing great, and I wouldn't change a thing if I were you... unless it is from your own inspiration.

I can't tell you how many flies I've torn apart to find out how they were tied.

If you want a taper, you can try to use a material that will stretch a little. Then stretch it tighter where you want a small diameter and loosen it up a bit where you want the body bigger.

I'm afraid you have got the tying affliction. We're all addicts here. It's OK.

Old Hat.

Thanks for yet another great tip on how to taper the body.

How long have you been tying? And what do you tie?

Youre words appear calming up on me...

Dude, i thougt i whas going crazy, im for sure bound on this fine art :rolleyes:

Flytying as in real life, nothing changes... only develops... Like fine wine ;)

Regards Claudia.