Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flysthatfish21

Using Indicators

I was wondering what kind of indicators you use? What types of situations are best for what indicators?

I have heard of just watching the very tip of your floating line as your indication of a bite but I would like more clarification on the subject.

Thank You

I like the Thill Ice and Fly Bobbers and the Float Master Indicators.

You can watch the tip of your fly line or colored butt section but you will miss fish. You will miss fish with indicators. Fish take their foods differently. It depends on what you are using, what time of the day you are fishing, what time of the year you are fishing, what species you are fishing for, and how much pressure the fish are seeing. I do a lot of sight fishing to feeding fish and my clients miss fish repeatedly because they are waiting for a tug or the bobber to move. You must also try to see the fish (this also requires a good pair of polarized glasses and some fish eyes). Look for movement, flashes, and gills flaring. Know where your flies are. If you see the fish and know the vicinity of your flies you can often tell when the fish moved on your fly. Remember, minimal slack in the line and leader.

Therefore, just dont rely on the feel, or the movement of your indicator or tip of your fly line. You must also see beyond that and look at the fishes behavior and movement. If you find feeding fish and focus on those you will catch more fish, indicator or not.

Good luck. PM or call me if you have need a little more clarification. I love nymph fishing.

I liked the Thingamabobber so much I bought two cases of them. They are very easy to put on a leader or reposition when needed. In years past I didn't use an indicator much but as I've aged my eyes are not as good as they once were and an indicator is most helpful. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

when i used this i left a kink in my leader, did i have it too far up the line? when nymphing whats a good distacne for the indicatior and whats a good length for the leader

Most leave a kink, especially thingamabobbers. It is ok though.

A good general rule is the bobber should be roughly 1 1/2 times the depth of the water from the end fly. Depth, current speed, and other factors are important, as well. Use a 9-13 leader depending on how big (or small) the water is and how spooky the fish are.

As far as I am concrened Rio twisties are the next step in strike indication. I used to use Bolles float right and other yarn style indicators for high sticking the high sierra streams near my house. I ran across a fellow fly fisherman one day and he was using these little green knots on his line and was nailing the fish left and right. I watched this guy catch and release 4 or 5 nice size rainbows in a matter of 30 minutes as he worked his way upstream. When I caught up to him and asked about his rigging method he showed me the little green knots ( spongy fly line with a small wire inserted along the core) and explained what made them work. You use two 1 inch sections, each twisted on to your leader about 6 inches apart, roughly 1 1/2 times the deph. They are buoyant but don't ride on the surface, just under it (anywheres from 1 to 12 inches),allowing the nymphs to ride the bottom if they are weighted correctly You pay attention to how they ride as they pass through the slot. Dead drift and the 2 indicators ride straight up and down, any strike or nudge which is transmitted into change in the vertical orientation of the indicators and you set the hook with a nice downstream set. I am still working on the method but my hook-up rate has increased noticeably.

I use small dental rubber bands used for braces, make a loop in my line and using my hemos wrap the rubber band 3 times over the hemo tips, open the hemos wide to put the rubber band over the loop, then I find a dried leaf stream side and put the stem in the loop and pull tight. You can easily change depth that way and the leaf never spooks fish, just change it once in a while as it starts to sink.

You can never be too sneaky. you can find the dental rubber bands online, or PM me as I bought more that I can ever use, and would trade for something.

Cheers, Futzer.

As far as I am concrened Rio twisties are the next step in strike indication. I used to use Bolles float right and other yarn style indicators for high sticking the high sierra streams near my house. I ran across a fellow fly fisherman one day and he was using these little green knots on his line and was nailing the fish left and right. I watched this guy catch and release 4 or 5 nice size rainbows in a matter of 30 minutes as he worked his way upstream. When I caught up to him and asked about his rigging method he showed me the little green knots ( spongy fly line with a small wire inserted along the core) and explained what made them work. You use two 1 inch sections, each twisted on to your leader about 6 inches apart, roughly 1 1/2 times the deph. They are buoyant but don't ride on the surface, just under it (anywheres from 1 to 12 inches),allowing the nymphs to ride the bottom if they are weighted correctly You pay attention to how they ride as they pass through the slot. Dead drift and the 2 indicators ride straight up and down, any strike or nudge which is transmitted into change in the vertical orientation of the indicators and you set the hook with a nice downstream set. I am still working on the method but my hook-up rate has increased noticeably.

tyinfreak, do you mind if I copy and paste this to another site I'm a member of? Sounds like a great indicator system.

Probably the best strike indicator is a stimulator or sofa pillow. Trout will hit these.

For warm water, a popper dropper rig is very productive and the popper is essentially a strike indicator.

Futzer,

I love your leaf idea. I would never have thought to try anything like that, but I will certainly give it a shot.

Thanks,

Cal

You bet Calvin, it works well for me, in deeper water, I think I am going to investigate what FishingBub wrote below, Infact I have already clipped up an old fly line to try it. Anyway, I do fish a number of heavily fished waters, like Henry's Fork, Provo, and South Platte, and any trick you can come up with for stealth is mandatory. Fish are not that smart, but they do learn methods to avoid being caught. I think of both Henry's Fork and Hebgen lake where in recent years the trout have started not taking surface bugs in a straight line. First time I fished Hebgen in 1979 you could lead a big cruiser by 20 feet and let your midge sit. Not any more. If you want some dental rubber bands, let me know I bought way too many, I'll trade for something small.

Cheers, Jeff

tyinfreak, do you mind if I copy and paste this to another site I'm a member of? Sounds like a great indicator system.