Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
NoVaTyer

Reverse Palmer Hackle

I am having a bit of trouble with the reverse palmer hackle. I end up with too many trapped hackle feathers. I have tried wiggling the wire to avoid trapping the hackle but I still end up with an outcome that is less than desirable. Any suggestions would be graetly appreciated.

Thanks.

When this happens to me, instad of fighting the hackle :wallbash: , I wrap it and tie it off and then i use an old dental tool with a hook on the end and pull out the trapped hackles from underneath the quill. :yahoo:

When this happens to me, instad of fighting the hackle :wallbash: , I wrap it and tie it off and then i use an old dental tool with a hook on the end and pull out the trapped hackles from underneath the quill. :yahoo:

That is a good idea, I will have to try that.

Thanks

The best piece of advice I got on this came from Charlie Craven: wrap the wire forward with exactly the same pace and speed as you did the hackle - as if the hackle wasn't there. You should strive for the same number of turns of wire as you had hackle.

I've really no idea why this works, but there's no doubt it worked for me - and this same problem used to plague me to no end. I'd guess this is sort of a "zen" thing - trust your hands to do the right thing - don't hesitate!