Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Twist

The Best Hooks

Hi Guys,

I caught the fly tying bug,and spend most of my time tying,when not fishing of course. Here's the problem. I need Plain Shank Hooks in sizes 6-10 in quantity's of 100 hooks or more for a reasonable price,I'm tired of having to buy those little plastic bags of 10 eagle claws for almost $2,and have 10 fly's tied in an hour or less. So if anyone know's of a good brand of hook that I could get 100+ hooks for less than maybe $6 that would be great. Recommendations please!

-Twist

There are a lot of opinions on this issue, but what it comes down to is personal opinion. I have never had a problem with mustad hooks and probably have caught more fish on them than any other. But this is because I have used them a lot more. Personally I like the look, feel and point of the tiemco hook, for salmon I like the daiichi Bob Veveraka (sp) hook. Never the less, I do think cost has an important factor in the consideration of a hook, but I suggest trying different brands, its an important part of fly tying. But some brands that might fit in your price tag will probably be mustad and dai riki, both great hooks, although the colour of the dai riki hook is a little golden for me. Their scud style hook is nice though. Anyways im glad you have come to the light side, fly tying is a great hobby. If there is anything I can help with let me know,

Phil

If you find a good pack of hooks for $6 or less per hundred let me know.

For now, i've found that Togens has them for about $7.25 per pack, unless you buy in bulk and get 1000 hooks, and even cheaper I think if you buy 1000 of the same kind and size hook. I've used them, but have yet to put them to the test on anything other than some fat bass!

Lightning strike or Mustad but I dont like either.

What gauge are the mustads? I want an economical hook solution, but i don't want the hook to bend every time i catch a fish.

Eagle Claw makes packs of various quantities, depending on the size, of up to 50. I pick them up for $10 a pack at the local fly shop here.

I have worked with some mustads that were just to thin,they moved all over the place when wrapping them,but i guess that can be said for any thin hook. Unfortunately living in the Tampa bay area of Florida we don't have any true fly shops,that would make things a whole lot easier.I just dont want to continue spending $2/10 hooks when I could tie around 30-40 per day.

Metal prices and energy prices going up worldwide have caused hooks to get more expensive in the last several years. Plenty of us on here have tied thousands and thousands of flies on various Mustad standard fly hooks. They make many models in many thicknesses of wire per hook size and model. I've tied and fished Mustad standard hooks for almost 30 years and have no real complaints. Sure you might be looking at around $10 per hundred more or less, but it's a hell of a lot more economical than $6 or more per 25. Depending on your styles of tying, you could check out the Mustad 3366 hooks which you can get for about $4 per hundred if you shop around. they are good hooks for a lot of wet flies, many baitfish patterns, and deer hair and foam bugs. If you bend one every time you catch a fish, you are doing something wrong. "Boutique" hooks are great, but I know I can't afford them. JStockard has a decent selection of Mustads. For the widest size selection and best price on the 3366, look at Jann's Netcraft.

Metal prices and energy prices going up worldwide have caused hooks to get more expensive in the last several years. Plenty of us on here have tied thousands and thousands of flies on various Mustad standard fly hooks. They make many models in many thicknesses of wire per hook size and model. I've tied and fished Mustad standard hooks for almost 30 years and have no real complaints. Sure you might be looking at around $10 per hundred more or less, but it's a hell of a lot more economical than $6 or more per 25. Depending on your styles of tying, you could check out the Mustad 3366 hooks which you can get for about $4 per hundred if you shop around. they are good hooks for a lot of wet flies, many baitfish patterns, and deer hair and foam bugs. If you bend one every time you catch a fish, you are doing something wrong. "Boutique" hooks are great, but I know I can't afford them. JStockard has a decent selection of Mustads. For the widest size selection and best price on the 3366, look at Jann's Netcraft.

The 3366's look very promising,thats exactly what i was looking for, As for the bending of the hooks,I was tying on mustad panfish hooks,and the bass kept hitting them so the hook would bend out of shape.

Mustads and Eagle Claws are often brittle. Try Daiichi, Tiemco or Mustad Signature hooks; expensive but well worth the extra.

No matter what hooks you end up buying, you need to pay attention to the characteristics of the specific models you are getting. ALL brands of hooks sell fine, standard, and heavier wire hooks. Look for these designations on the hook description,

1xf = 1 extra fine wire. Good for floating flies.

1xh = 1 extra heavy wire. Used mostly on hooks for sinking flies.

2xh = 2 extra heavy wire. Used on sinking flies for larger fish like salmon and steelhead.

If you look hard enough, you can also find some 4 xh hooks (from Mustad Signature hooks.)

This link is to a page of descriptions of Eagle Claw fly tying hooks. Read the descriptions and you will see the wire sizes. Look at the L055 and L056 hooks. Same shape, but one is stronger than the other. Both are sold in 100 packs.

Eagle Claw fly hooks

When you are done looking at the Eagle Claw hooks browse through the descriptions for other brands.

When you see designations like 1xf or 1xh or 1xl (long) 2xl (long) that means the wire is the same as the wire from the next size hook up or down, or in the case of long hooks, the shank is equal to a hook one, two three or four sizes longer.

Reading over the hooks descriptions, you will quicky learn, that there are plenty of different models to choose from, each different is some way.

No matter what hooks you end up buying, you need to pay attention to the characteristics of the specific models you are getting. ALL brands of hooks sell fine, standard, and heavier wire hooks. Look for these designations on the hook description,

1xf = 1 extra fine wire. Good for floating flies.

1xh = 1 extra heavy wire. Used mostly on hooks for sinking flies.

2xh = 2 extra heavy wire. Used on sinking flies for larger fish like salmon and steelhead.

If you look hard enough, you can also find some 4 xh hooks (from Mustad Signature hooks.)

This link is to a page of descriptions of Eagle Claw fly tying hooks. Read the descriptions and you will see the wire sizes. Look at the L055 and L056 hooks. Same shape, but one is stronger than the other. Both are sold in 100 packs.

Eagle Claw fly hooks

When you are done looking at the Eagle Claw hooks browse through the descriptions for other brands.

When you see designations like 1xf or 1xh or 1xl (long) 2xl (long) that means the wire is the same as the wire from the next size hook up or down, or in the case of long hooks, the shank is equal to a hook one, two three or four sizes longer.

Reading over the hooks descriptions, you will quicky learn, that there are plenty of different models to choose from, each different is some way.

Theres one catch though that i could see the 100/$7 Isn't a bad price,Its just that bright silver hook isn't my cup of tea,the "Lazer Red" which is preferable,come 25/4$ which comes to $16 per 100.

Brittleness does play a factor as well because on most all of my freshwater fly's i remove the barb from the hook by mashing it.

I use Tiemco & Gamakatsu. And Partridge for full dress Salmon Flies, but those don't get fished. All I can say is, yes you can get cheaper hooks, but we all have hooked or seen "The Fish" and there are enough handy caps without my hook being one of them to land that fish. I have never been dissapointed with Tiemco & Gamakatsu. I have straightened out or broke some of the others until I learned my lesson.

Cheers Futzer

Mustads and Eagle Claws are often brittle. Try Daiichi, Tiemco or Mustad Signature hooks; expensive but well worth the extra.

In my experience, Mustad "standard" hooks have not been brittle. 3366s especially are even a little on the soft side. I've done knot tying strength tests with multiple 3366s of every size from 12 to 1/0 and have never had one break, they always bend. That's not to say I think they are bad hooks, not at all- I trust them completely and fish them all the time. They are much stronger than the soft-wire aberdeen style panfish/crappie hooks. Those hooks are intentionally soft so they can be pulled out of snags. I've mashed the barbs on nearly a thousand 3366s and they are not brittle, again in my experience. I have broken several Mustad "signature" hooks at the barb when trying to carefully mash them down, but usually in the smaller sizes of dry fly hooks. I'll continue to fish with Mustad standard hooks as long as I can. They are a fine value and do the job. Maybe they're not as pretty and don't have a fancy name. That has never mattered to me.