Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flysthatfish21

Streamers

I noticed that many of the heads on the streamers that are tied have a very glossy tapered head. Is there some sort of special head cement that you use when tying them to give them this effect?

If you use a water based head cement then yes it is a different product. There are a number of products people use. For streamers with that shiny head I use hard head clear by loon. I only use that because that was what I bought, not because I think it is the best or not (I don't really know). I know some people use Sally Hensens hard as nails, I think it is a clear nail polish. I have found that I need a couple of coats of the hard head to get the desired effect. Hope this helps.

C

There are quite a few products for streamer heads. Epoxy, Softex, EZ Shape Sparkle Body, Soft Body, etc. are used to build up heads. High Gloss head cements, Hard As Nails, etc. are used to achieve glossy coats on the thread.