Fly Tying
JustinDavis

Bead Organization

How do you organize your beads?  

231 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have been using them for several years. Seed beads, bar bells, mono eyes, etc. I had to use clear tape to keep the lid from slipping off. Great organizer though.
I use the little "tic-tac" containers as well. I have also had problems with the lids being loose and having to tape them. I put a piece of clear scotch tape on the side and write the size of the beads/dumbbell eyes in the container. If I change the contents I can easily remove the tape for a new label. Usually I can tell the size differences but sometime (even with glasses) they are hard to distinguish.

- Olórin

my fly tying stuff is in no organization.

as the note on my math teachers desk says:

"neat people don't make the amazing discoveries that i do!"

I picked up up a nice bead organizer at Michael's craft store, also foam too. Take a look at their selection in the beading area, there are more bead storage solutions then you will need in a lifetime. My alternate favorite place to store beads is in the air conditioning duct vent, its very convenient, I can just let the beads roll to the end of the desk and then drop into the vent - then I can go retrieve more at the fly tying store.

I too like J.D. and tyrite use the CraftMate organizer. (Tic-Tac type containers) purchased from "Dollarama" a discount store nearby. One is dedicated for beads and another for small dry fly, scud & nymph hooks. Excellent little organizers for the price. :thumbsup:

I found a container at Walmart that is supposed to be used to house nuts and bolts on a work bench. Great stuff...thats what I use.

I use one of these;

IMGP1578.jpg

I picked it up at Lee Vallet Tools in Edmonton. I use Bead Nabbers to pick them up and I use the needles with collapsible eyes for stringing them.

Mine is exactly like yours I got it at Walmart and it was very inexpensive.

I found this great organizer at Wal-Mart (where you can find anything)

and they work great for my bead organization.

They each have a small opening, and I write on the side with a sharpie to denote the kind of bead, size, color, etc.

What do you think?

post-17745-1226027647_thumb.jpg

post-17745-1226027653_thumb.jpg

Justin

Hi Guys,

I buy my beads {tapered Hole} for flytying by the gross {1000 beads} at a time in the various sizes up to 5/32" down to the lil 64ths size, i use a pro hook box it has a curved bottom in each compartment and also has lil ridges on the inside of the top so that your beads don't go mixing into other compartments. I also label them with mailing labels cut to fit each lil compartment and write their size and color on that lil tab also if its tungsten or not.It also has a decent latch that doesnt open when you drop a box full of hooks or beads resonably, i mean ya cant go off like a tourister gorilla or anything.

When it comes to hooks i have the same boxes used for most if not all my hooks and i do the same thing as well i used to have the umpqua hook boxes but when they fall or get knocked over you are screwed.i can't tell ya the number of times i spent sorting beads by size,as well as sorting hooks after i dropped or knocked a box over.

for my money you cant beat the pro hook boxes i have about 15 of them and need to get more because i have some hooks that need to be put in them,I took the former umpqua hook boxes and decided to use em for fly storage when i travel i usually carry them with me so i have extra flies incase i run out.There isnt always a fly shop thats nearby or open when ya need one.

Tight Wraps

Rick Wallace

I have been using them for several years. Seed beads, bar bells, mono eyes, etc. I had to use clear tape to keep the lid from slipping off. Great orghanizer though.

i have the exact same thing and had the exact same problem.. but i only paid under $3 (was on sale) so :rolleyes:

Heres mine keeps everything organized enough for me my dumbbell eyes and chain eyes are in a box of there own

SN852637.jpg

I store mine two different ways... I use Craft Mates storage with the locking lids, and on the floor around my tying area. When selecting the ones on the floor, I generally place my heel directly on top of one with all my weight. After hopping around for a moment on the other foot and chanting the secret words, I pick it off my foot and carefully transport it to the staging area to await use. I am trying to convert more and more to the Craft Mates.

I store mine two different ways... I use Craft Mates storage with the locking lids, and on the floor around my tying area. When selecting the ones on the floor, I generally place my heel directly on top of one with all my weight. After hopping around for a moment on the other foot and chanting the secret words, I pick it off my foot and carefully transport it to the staging area to await use. I am trying to convert more and more to the Craft Mates.

David, do you catch more fish with the beads that got stuck to the bottom of your feet? Just curious if trout actually use their olfactory senses to key in on a food source.............. :hyst: