Fly Tying
Fontinalis

Classic Winged Wet Fly Swap

It's time for a classic winged wet fly swap. Meaning any classic winged wet pattern found in Ray Bergmans book Trout or by Ken Sawada. The sign up dead line will be November 15, 2008. The flies will be due to me no later than Friday December 20, 2008. This means some of you might get some classic wet flies for Christmas or New Years depending on the post office delivery. The swap will be open to 13 tyers in total. That means you will have to tye 12 flies of the patterm you choose. When the swap fills up or the dead line is reached I will post my mailing address to all participants. Sign up for the swap will be on a first come basis.

List Of Tyers

1) Fontinalis - Tying a Lead Wing Coachman --- COMPLETED

2) Old Hat - Tying - The Gold Ribbed Hares Ear Wet --- RECEIVED

3) Student4evr --- DROPPED OUT

4) ibrb - Tying the Rich Widow --- RECEIVED

5) sukhoidave - Tying the Page --- RECEIVED

6) mlwebb - Tying the McKenzie -- RECEIVED

7) Isonychia - Tying the Feted Green --- RECEIVED

8) Jacktjl - Tying Hardy's Favorite --- RECEIVED

9) catskilljohn - Tying the Lady Beaverkill --- RECEIVED

10) Linesides - Tying - the Orange And Black --- DROPPED OUT

11) JonG - Tying the Montreal --- Dropped Out???? No replies to last two PM's

12) troutguy - Tying Queen Of The Waters --- RECEIVED

13) Deeky - Tying the Sassy Cat --- RECEIVED

The swap is full and now closed

Ok everyone we have a great list of tyers. Here's is what I need from all Tyers:

1) With the swap being full everyone needs to tye 12 flies of the pattern they signed up for

2) Please make sure to place a toe tag on the fly with your name & the name of the fly

3) Please send the flies to:

Andy Brasko

203 Rancocas Blvd

Mount Laurel, New Jersey 08054

4) Please make sure that you place you flies in a container that can be mailed without getting crushed.

5) Lastly make sure I have your mailing address so the flies can be sent back to you without any issues.

My wife will be taking pictures of the fly to post in this thread. I really want to thank everyone for joining and to help make this swap a success.

Sincerely

Andy Brasko

AKA: Fontinalis

I would LOVE to do this, but timing with work before Christmas makes this near impossible. :( I hope to catch the next one.

I will have to get in on this one. Nothing better than a little practice, practice, practice.

I would like to do either a Blue Bottle or Hare's Ear. I don't have either of Ray or Ken's books. I believe these are in Trout. If not just let me know and I will pick something else.

I Just got the premier issue of Hatches Magazine. There is a great article on this type of fly!! I'm in. I will figure out which pattern and let you know.Besides I can always use another fly by Old Hat.

Frank AKA Student4evr

I will have to get in on this one. Nothing better than a little practice, practice, practice.

I would like to do either a Blue Bottle or Hare's Ear. I don't have either of Ray or Ken's books. I believe these are in Trout. If not just let me know and I will pick something else.

I am not sure I can join yet but here is a link that may prove helpful to those that don't have the books.

jacktjl

http://globalflyfisher.com/patterns/bergman/

Jacktjl:

You read my mind I spent a while trying to get a look at some of the patterns. Thanks :thumbsup:

Frank aka student4evr

Well, after reading Old Hat's "first winged wet" post, I am encouraged to give it a try. I'll have to poke around for a used copy of "Trout", but in the meantime can I assume a "more traditional' tying of a Ginger Quill qualifies? This would be a good next project for my fly tying education (and pardon in advance to the experienced tiers), and I enjoy the aesthetics of these flies.

regards,

Michael

Well, Put me down as TBD pending further research.

What I am thinking about is the winged wet version of a Ginger Quill, as seen at the bottom of this page, http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/o...ies/part420.php,(note the different wing from photo at top of page) and similar to the Black Quill, as here: http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/o...ies/part421.php, which also has some interesting thoughts on Bergmans flies.

I gather hook possibilities include: size 6 or 8 mustad 3906, 3906B,3399 - diiachi 1550. 1560 1530(heavy),- tiemco 3761 or 5269, 3769 - partridge G3A. Does anyone have a favorite hook for these flies?

regards, Michael

So I have seen the Blue Bottle hackled with a throat and tail and also tied with a palmer, no tail. Also, I have seen the GRHE tied with a tail and without. Anyone mind helping me out, just trying to stay true to the Bergman's Trout variation for the swap. Man, I've got to get a copy of that book.