Fly Tying
Fontinalis

Classic Winged Wet Fly Swap

I got my flies yesterday, but our phone and DSL services were out until just a few minutes ago so I couldn't acknowledge their receipt. Let me say that each and every one of the flies I received were extremely well tied and will be offered to the trout of central and southern West Virginia. Andy -- terrific job coordinating the swap. Can't wait until next year's!

John

I got my flies yesterday. All of them very nice. Thanks everyone.

I don't do much fishing - being in Ohio - but I would love to catch some trout on beautiful wet flies on some travels. A question though - wouldn't I want much smaller flies to fish with than the 8s and 6s most of us tied?

I figure more like 12 or even 14s for fishing...

Your thoughts?

Everyone has their own thoughts, and most fisherman, me included think that those who don't agree with them are dead wrong.

I moved from New York to South Carolina in 1996. I do love it,but.... I fish for trout in NC most of the time. It is illegal to fish for trout at night in most streams in NC. I was devastated. I fished wet flies from 10 PM until 4 AM many nights and caught my best trout. I liked a Pickett Pin, Queen of Waters, Montreal, Black Gnat and some other flies in size 2, 4, 6 and 8. Mostly in size 4. Big trout like big bait. I am a night creeper. I loved night fishing the best. My favorite rod is a 9 foot Fenwick 7 weight fiber glass rod from 1970 with a Pflueger reel. It is a night fishing machine.

I tied mine in a size 12 for the swap. It would be OK for most fishing, but wet flies can be a wide variety of sizes. I thought other then they looked too good to fish, all the flies were great sizes for fishing.

I fish wet flies first, streamers second then nymphs and dries and I am a pretty decent fisherman. I truly miss fishing big wets at night. Guys would fish the Monguap, Beaverkill and Wilowemoc during the day and a 14 inch fish was huge; 20 was fairly common at night. A size 14 wet looks like a midge in my box.

My flies showed up today and what a real treat!

Unbelievable overall quality for a swap. Having just started tying these and never fished them, I am extremely excited to get these wet this spring.

Thanks Andy for putting this together and thanks everyone for a fantastic bunch of flies.

Sorry, a little slow on the reply, but got my flies. Very nice set. I was nervous about how well the flies would ship, but after two legs, these flies are sturdier than I thought. Nice work all.

Deeky