Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Worst Fishing injury

What has been the worst injury you have suffered due to your almost insane passion for flyfishing?  

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In the course of some twenty years on the creeks and rivers of my beloved state of Kentucky, I have suffered indescribable pain and hardships because of my love for the sport of flyfishing. I have incurred broken bones, major flesh wounds, animal bites, head traumas, and have even been shot at a few times. Are there more like me? People who take insane chances for the glory of a few fish? I think there are. Let's do a poll!!! tongue.gif

When I first started flyfishing it was a windy day and was doing my backcast and the wind caught it and the fly stuck in the back of my head. OUCH! Didn't go past the barb, but still hurt.

Sounds like you've had a rough time of it. Major Flesh Wounds? Yikes! blink.gif

Fishing isn't my problem, just a few hooks in the back of the head for the most part. My worst fishing injury came before I started fishing. We were in our first apartment, and after going to bed one night, the lovely Mrs Lunk reminds me to take out the garbage. Being a dutiful young husband, I put on a robe and comply. The cans are only about 15ft away from our back bedroom door and in the dark, so I'm not worried about modesty. Well, that day my dirty bait-fishin' neighbor had canned a bunch of old gear, including one baitholder type hook, about size 2 or 4, which didn't quite make it into the can. Instead it made it into my foot. Now being outside, near naked, with a fishhook in you foot is bad enough, but I quickly found out that the hook still had about 20# test on it, which ran deep into the trash can. blink.gif So now I am near naked, tethered painfully and firmly to a garbage can by the foot, and calling a quietly as possible to the lovely Mrs Lunk for rescue.

Rotten bait-fisherman. wink.gif

I have laughed until me sides hurt!!!! I can relate!! Just this spring i drove a 1/0 saltwater hook into my toe at my fly tying desk. The point was buried up to the shank, but was curved so that the barb was under the nail bed. Took the ER doc about 30 minutes to completely free it. Was the ass of the joke at work for about three days. I just limped along painfully and smiled. Revenge will be sweet!!!

Sh,

you asked about major flesh wounds....more than a few...my most memorable was a nasty gash just inside my left thigh. i was climbing a fence when the bottom plank built into the fence as a crossing point broke, just as I was swinging my lef over the top strand of newly strung barbed wire. My considerable size broke the top strand from its anchor and it wrapped around my leg several times, penetrating deep into my thigh. I fished anyway, and let the ER doc sewed it up later that evening. Was a little embarassing to be sitting straddle in an ER with the stuff God gave ya hanging out while a 50 yr old nurse helped suture you up!!!!

Got 26 stitches in my knee from a nasty fall while fishing

around 100 sutures or better in my fingers over the years, all related to fishing....maybe I should try this sober!! (jus' kiddin')

Big Daddy gotta hand it to you. Getting an injury like that and still fishin, man that doesn't even sound fun!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this