Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Old Hat

Purple Mourning

Exceptionally nice soft hackle Carl. Outstanding color combination. The gray and purple go beautifully together. I love the look of the twisted body materials. :cheers:

Do you mind me asking about the meaning of the name?

Do you mind me asking about the meaning of the name?

No significance other than tied with purple silk and hackle from a mourning dove's wing feather.

:D Beautiful fly! Elegant soft hackles are the greatest of flies. :)

I agree Beetle Bob, there is a simple elegance to soft hackles/spiders that I really admire. I prefer to keep them very simple. I also like to utilize local game bird species whenever possible as the originators of this style tended to do.

I have and I used to fish them that way quite a bit but as I have evolved in my tying my fishing has taken me closer to the surface of the water. I have a few beaded patterns that I will fish if I do want to go deeper but most of the spider fishing I enjoy is right at the water's surface. In fact most of my spider fishing is done very similar to dry fly fishing in technique. Either short casts and short drifts upstream or quarter up and dead drifted. It's just a matter of what I have found I enjoy doing. However, I won't walk past a nice fish holding at the bottom of a quite pool either. :thumbsup:

Great combination of materials. The color really is elegant and should be very attractive to the fish. For years I ignored the Snipe and Purple because I could not believe trout would be attracted to it. On a whim, I tied some up on some #14 hooks. I soon learned my ignorance was a mistake. Nice work, Old Hat!

Mark

I agree . I think way too many flyfisherman automatically just swing'em without even thinking of throwing them like dries especially as a dropper of a dry .Its just way too much fun! :)