Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Old Hat

Lamplighter

That's a really cool looking fly! Nice and clean. I'm not too familiar with fishing all these crazy steelhead/salmon patterns... how would you fish a fly like the Lamplighter?

This is a popular local pattern for my area. This fly is used generally for earlier season steelhead here, which means right about now. The most popular method with a pattern like this is a quarter cast downstream and then swing the fly through the fish's holding water while mending the line as necessary. Long casts, swing the fly, take a couple steps down stream and repeat to cover a lot of water. The biggest trick is just finding the holding water. I will often cast across or upstream a little to let it dead drift a bit and sink a little lower before letting it swing. Generally you can change the depth with different density line. However I got a switch rod this year so that is a whole 'nother story.

Old Hat, Where do you fish? I am in your neighborhood on occasion, at least Spokane. Lets fish sometime. I spend long hours on occasion in the Salmon in Salmon ID, but that is the Steelie equivalent of the round the world trip.

Cheers, Futzer.

Thanks for comments all.

Old Hat, Where do you fish? I am in your neighborhood on occasion, at least Spokane. Lets fish sometime. I spend long hours on occasion in the Salmon in Salmon ID, but that is the Steelie equivalent of the round the world trip.

Cheers, Futzer.

For steel I have a few smaller rivers close by but the better known are the Grande Ronde and Snake in and around Lewiston Idaho. I have only lived in this part of of Oregon for a couple years so as steelhead water goes around here, I am a newbie, still getting to know the "local" waters. Next on my list is the Clearwater out of Lewiston. I grew up in Coeur d' Alene, so I know the Spokane area well but unfortunately wasn't a fisher back then.

nwstreamer - I have been tying this on #7 and #9 steelhead irons. I have seen the pattern mostly tied on a bit larger, depending on the water conditions, longer salmon hooks. But, I like the steelhead irons. They are a bit thick, but sharp and have a great grab and hold. I got the wing on this one a little thicker than I usually will tie it.

The Clearwater is on my short list too. Heard anything on this years fall run?

Cheers, Futzer.

nice tying old hat

i do like the aj steelhead iorns very much

good for fast flows when you want to fish a size smaller

the problem is there hard to get over here

all the best

john