Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
salmon&trout

4 weeks to travel and fish, where would you go?

First of all I'd like to say that I'm new to this web site and from what I've seen so far I'll be here every day for a long time to come.

My question: this fall begining the 8th of September I'll have 2 months off from work. I'd like to spend at least 4 weeks of that time on a fly fishing road trip.

I'm currently living in Vail, Co so this is where I plan o start my trek from.

I'm new to fly fishing for trout. All of my fly fishing has been for salmon in Alaska with some Steelhead fishing on the Skeena River near Terrace, BC.

I look forward to hearing your ideas and thoughts.

Kurt

Since your out west one of the places you HAVE to visit is the Green River in Utah. One of our members fished there not long ago. It is amazing looking water and scenery and here is his quote about the fishing:

The fish density is around 12,000 fish per mile and the average fish is 17 inches

Need I say more?

Here's a link to his pictures and full trip report: http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=3422

If you're looking for a challenge, head north to western Montana/eastern Idaho and test your skill on the Ranch section of the Henry's Fork and the spring creeks of Paradise Valley. If you can catch fish there, you can catch fish anywhere.

October in Yellowstone can be incredible fishing on the Madison and the Firehole Rivers. Plus Bullwinkle's has good food and brewski's not far from either river.

Then there are the Steelhead runs up in the PNW, don't forget about those.

The Green River is full of fish and has nice scenery, but if I were going to Utah, I'd fish the Provo and the Strawberry Rivers before I'd go all the way out to Dutch John for the Green. The Provo is more accessable and has bigger fish.

Need somebody to drive? wink.gif

I'd start by doing some hiking and hitting the cutthroats in the lakes in the Indian Peaks Wilderness Area, then up to Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park area. From there north into Wyoming for some Goldens and river fishing. Then up into Montana, across to Idaho and into Washington and Oregon and finally back through Utah. Maybe even up into Canada at some point...

Just too many possiblities!

If you're starting in Colorado already, I'd strongly suggest that you spend some time in the Pagosa area and take advantage of the Piedra river. In the Durango area the Animas river is incredible and then the Black Canyon of the Gunnison is amazing. If you go up to Wyoming you can try for a "Cut Slam" (Catch and photograph one of each of the three species of cutthroat and you get a certificate from the state). The Green river in Wyoming is just as wonderful fishing as it is in Utah and there are better views! I'd always suggest the Green in Utah but the Provo is supposed to have great fish and fewer people. Whew! I need a vacation ...

Green River sounds very nice indeed! biggrin.gif

Any runs of steelhead and king in the great lakes area during this time period? I was thinking about maybe making the Morice River in BC as my ultimate destination. I caught my first Steelhead on this river.

boat.gif

QUOTE (salmon&trout @ Jun 23 2004, 11:46 AM)

Any runs of steelhead and king in the great lakes area during this time period?

September 8th is about as close as the peak of the salmon run as you can get in Michigan S&T.

The Pere Marquette is were i call home the entire month of september wink.gif it gets a great runs of 15-25# salmon and doing battle woth 25+ fish a day is VERY common.

Then after the salmon run begins to taper down about late sept/early oct the steelehead start making their way up stream.

Pere marquette/Au Sable/Manistee/Muskegeon are just a few of the "better" rivers during that time frame here in the GL area.

SD

S&T it depends on which river you are talking about and when you fish it. For example the au sable gets hammered HARD on the weekends but i take a week vaca each oct and during the week the same spots that had 50-75 guys fishing in them are completely empty on the week days most the time.

The pontoon boat would be a good idea just because you can get away from the other anglers if they are there and it will open up alot of water to you.

If you want any info on a certian river here just let us know and we'll help ya out.

SD

Sign in to follow this