Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
lewy271

Dying Plastic Dubbing

I have a boat load of what is really nice synthetic dubbing thanks to my dogs immediately destroying a new dog toy, that being said I only have one color that is white! Does rite dye work for dying plastic like this, I unfortunately don't know the true makeup of it so plastic is as technical as it gets here for now.

Any tips and tricks here?

Lewy.

my guess is no... maby you can read the washinglable of the dead toy. if the stuffing is semi syntetic it will turn out uneven, if its 100% syntetic the colour will just wash out... or mix a small amount of dye and try...

Claudia

Sure that should work fine. I've died some poly yarn which is synthetic with the spice "Turmeric" for a nice yellow and it holds the color fine.

Well gentlemen I plan to try this, this weekend so I will let everyone know. I can add a dog pillow to the mix now too. :D Gotta love a vizsla that needs a lot of exercise! Thanks for the input!

Sharpie, Prismacolor or Chartpak pens.

I often dub with the white fibers, and then use a colored marker to color them. You can mix colors and do all sorts of "mottled" effects.

Hi, not to sure you have these in the states but i use a pen set made by LETRASET these come in various shades and are made for the fly tyer

hope this is of some help