Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Faster Fish

Zonker strips

Anybody have any idea how they make banding strips on rabbit zonker strips? I bought some rabbit fur to die and I was pondering on how they would make the strips on the fur.

Randy

However it is done it is surface die only. Im wondering if they have a slotted jig they lay over the fur. Then use a tight nap paint roller and roll die over the fur. Id test this on the neighbors cat before I ruined a skin. But that is just me....

Could the dye be silk screened onto the skin? I used to do silk screening by hand, and once the screen is prepared, you can do hundreds or thousands before you have to touch up the screen.

They lay a jig over the fur, like a big comb and airbrush the black die onto it, more often than not it is a strip vs the whole rabbit skin.

Cheers, Futzer.

Futzer he wants to sell barred zonkers

Yessir whole skins, on 7/0 tandem hooks, for fish with big nasty bitin' teeth, just watch that back cast, its a killer.

Cheers Futzer.

Oh and for faster fish, a black sharpie thick point pen and a thick paper mask for even lines works fine on a smaller scale. I really like lighter olive rabbit and dark green sharpie for pike.

I showed some to my son, who is a graphic artist, and he's pretty sure it's done with a silk screen. However, he did say it's possible to do it with a air brush & a stencil also. Both methods would work with the proper dyes.

Once you get it figured out, I'll take magnum size in natural, barred of course, yellow, olive and brown. Hurry. :ph34r:

Hey, when did you show up here. You old sly dog you. <_<