Fly Tying
Mad Scientist

Dubbing Box Survey

I am interested in your input. Do you use a dubbing box? If so, do you use the holes in the bottom to get dubbing from the box or do you just open the lid and use the dubbing that way or both? Also, the reason why you do it the way you do?

Thanks & I appreciate your input.

Sincerely,

Mad Scientist

Fly Tyers Dungeon

I actually do use the hole in the dispenser. That way I don't pull out too much at a time.

PS: Thanks again for the exceptional selection and value in the Christmas box.

I am interested in your input. Do you use a dubbing box? If so, do you use the holes in the bottom to get dubbing from the box or do you just open the lid and use the dubbing that way or both? Also, the reason why you do it the way you do?

Mad Scientist

Fly Tyers Dungeon

Of course. Why would I have a box with holes in and not use it? The primary reason is convenience and because it prevents the colors from mingling with each other everytime I open the box. Particularly useful in a less than ideal situations such as outside with a strong wind going. I do often wish, however, I had an easy way of covering the holes when not in use. The dubbing has a tendency to snag on stuff and come out on its own volition.

Bit of marketting research?

I also use the holes, I can easily regulate just how much dubbing I tease from the box by varying the amount I pinch in the first place . The pulling out from the holes also serves to seperate and align the fibers which helps me in applying the dubbing to the thread. The only time I ever open the boxes is when I re-fill them.

Yes,

I am doing some marketing research. It's interesting, on a separate email question that I sent out, replies came in that about 67% use the holes and 33% don't. The after question comments are interesting as well. Honestly, I have never used a dubbing box and some insight would be very helpful as well as any comments. The majority of my tying friends, don't use boxes and if so, they open the lid....it's interesting!

Mad Scientist

Fly Tyers Dungeon

No Boxes, too small for me. I use zip baggies. Sometimes as large as 8"x 10" if it is a big order.

Cheers, Futzer.

PS Mad Scientist, got my order and your stuff is really nice.

Hm... :D id taped those holes and i use the lid on Ice/Flash dub.

I do that to not pull the fibers so they go long and changes colour. i never cut the fibers i filter them out.

Dry dub i keep in a zip lock pocketthing that came with a scierra flytyer traveling bag.

Fur dub i keep on the skins until i need it, making the exakt amount dub by using a tool looking like this.

Jep.. i know :rolleyes:

Claudia

post-11348-1227232857_thumb.jpg

On my boxes I use the lil hole, on bags I cut a small diagonal across one of the bottom corners and pull from there. do you guys open the ziplock bags? really?

I use the holes for all my dubbing except for ice dubbing and SLF, those I open the lids and acccess the dubbing that way.

John

I love those boxes, and I pull my dubbing out of the holes. I do think that I could use a little more dubbing then each compartment has to offer, but I often over stock each block with dubbing from bags or masks. I do want a a few of these boxes that are empty so I can put my ice dub and seal dubbing in them, I hate having so many little bags... way too annoying. If anyone has 2-4 of these that are empty and you don't use, drop me a pm maybe we can set up a trade.

Phil

I also use the holes. Mostly because they're there but it is much more convienient than opening the top and having dubbing flying out and stuff.

IM always amazed at how easy the hairs web pulls for the box and oh how I enjoy the snap from the legs when I pull peacock plus form the box! Oh How I love the day when my dungeon order comes! Mad Scientist Ill take a box with holes of every thing you have! Oh wait I think I have 2 boxes of everything you have already and many bags of refills and Pounds of flash an MY GOSH the amount of material in your H20 twist is stupid I tie a lot of flies and that hank will last my lifetime! Its got to weight a poundon its own! Ok Im going off long story short I like the holes in the boxes.....