Fly Tying
Par_Spot

size on whiting silver saddles

I know that hackle gets discussed to death on any fly tying forum... but I was hoping that some of you with more Whiting purchasing experience (and bigger hackle collections :D ) would suffer a novice's questions. What would be an approximate range of dry fly sizes that one could reasonably expect from a Whiting silver 1/2 saddle? predominately 14-16? 14-18? smaller? I realize that it will vary depending on the particular saddle. Thanks!

From my experience you can expect depending on the saddle to me much of 12-14 or 14-16 with some size 18. But that is depending on the saddle. If you want more info let me know, I have a number of whiting saddles and I dont expect to get through them too quick.

Phil

Check out the Whiting Euro-saddle, predominately 12-16's and about half the price. I find the difference between Silver and Bronze is mostly number of hackles, with silver having better small hackles. Mostly just the total number. Their stuff is getting so good that I can't hardly believe it. Any one else remember having to use 2 hackles to tie a size 20 fly say 20 years ago.

Cheers, Futzer

It is a toss up what you will get on a saddle. I find them most in the 14 - 16 range with a some doing larger or smaller. I do have saddles that go larger and other that are damn near a midge saddle. In short it is best to handle the saddles yourself to get a good idea of the sizes or buy from a dealer that you trust and will pick one that meets your needs.

Joe Fox

I agree wholeheartedly with the above comments. And if you must order online, it never hurts to specify your desired size range. (ie 10-14, 12-16, 14-18.) Most good suppliers are happy to give you what you want, if its available.

By the way, I checked my Whiting saddles and find the Gold generally have plenty of feathers in the range 10-18, the Silver predominantly range from 14-18.

Thanks for the information. Looks like I should hold out for a 1/2 midge saddle instead of the regular silver saddle. I plan to tie lots of tiny tailwater bugs over the next two years, pending an upcoming move. As usual, the members of this site are both helpful and knowledgeable. Thanks, all.

size 14-18. You can get the quarter saddles sized 14 and smaller or 14 and larger. There is really no difference in the quality in the different Whiting grades, it is quantity of usable feathers.

If you are going to tie mostly the small sizes (18-22) you will definately need a midge saddle. This will contain all the sizes 18-22. If you will be tying some larger flies as well you need to either handle the saddle, (with a hackle guage) or ask the vendor to do it for you,if you purchase on line. Whitewater Flies.com will do that for you. If you want to make sure you have the sizes that you will need no matter what size fly you are going to tie, go with a cape. Hope this helps, Greg

Yep, capes are the way to go for the widest range of sizes.