Fly Tying
steelie

Glow in the dark flies

Mail is a wonderful (and quick) thing :rolleyes:

Quiet Steelie. I to used glow in the dark flies during my travels to New Zealand back in the early 90's and have never looked back. I stock some glow in the dark items in the store but no one ever buys any of it. The new UV Glo pens are the coolest.

UV glow pens, I want some!!!!!!! Dhise, it is a good thing for me that your shop is so far away. Oh and I agree with Fred, that a black fly on a black night works great too. I carry both. I would have to say I like the UV best in light transitional periods. vs. total darkness.

Send me a link or pic of the cool UV pens, I have one of those little plastic things in my wallet, you know that has numbers on it, that shop owners like so well.

Thanks, Jeff

Mail is a wonderful (and quick) thing :rolleyes:

Quiet Steelie. I to used glow in the dark flies during my travels to New Zealand back in the early 90's and have never looked back. I stock some glow in the dark items in the store but no one ever buys any of it. The new UV Glo pens are the coolest.

UV glow pens, I want some!!!!!!! Dhise, it is a good thing for me that your shop is so far away. Oh and I agree with Fred, that a black fly on a black night works great too. I carry both. I would have to say I like the UV best in light transitional periods. vs. total darkness.

You'd probably be surprised how many use or have used them. I've tied and used some form of a glow in the dark material in some of my patterns for many years. Lot more glow options nowadays too. Anything to get the fishes attention seems like a good plan to me, especially with a zap of a flash from a camera. Lasts much longer than a flashlight induced glow.

You'd probably be surprised how many use or have used them. I've tied and used some form of a glow in the dark material in some of my patterns for many years. Lot more glow options nowadays too. Anything to get the fishes attention seems like a good plan to me, especially with a zap of a flash from a camera. Lasts much longer than a flashlight induced glow.

Hey Cruncher, check out Loon outdoors knot sense UV mini Led light. I really charges up the GITD phosphoresence, and saves your camera flash for a trophy picture. http://www.loonoutdoors.com/lampslights.html

Cheers, Futzer.

I have for years tyed a Glow in the Dark Caddis with a special material that used to cost on 50 cents in some gas station toilets. It is glow in the dark latex in the form of a condom. I call it the Trojanator...

In the last few weeks, I have been more than impressed with the number of tyers with recipes that use condoms. Fly tyers are at least creative folks.

Cheers Futzer.

Hi All;

Thanks for the replies for gitd materials and patterns!

One question do you use gitd materials for the fish or the fisherman???

I was thinking on incorporating gitd in to patterns for the fisherman to see at dark.

Do fish really respond to gitd materials???

Thanks in advnce;

Wayneb

Hi All;

Thanks for the replies for gitd materials and patterns!

I was thinking on incorporating gitd in to patterns for the fisherman to see at dark.

Do fish really respond to gitd materials???

Thanks in advnce;

Wayneb

In my opinion, yes the fish do respond to them. I like using GITD stuff at dusk, I use mostly midges, nymphs, and streamers with glow and have fished for trout, pike, walleyes, wipers, and pan fish with glowie properties. Give a few a try and see what you think.

Cheers, Futzer.

I have used GITD materials in flies, but generally just sparingly. One of my favorites though is a simple pheasant tail nymph with GITD tinsel for the shellback. I will also tie a large, like #8-#6 BH Prince nymph for steelies and replace the white wing biots with the GITD tinsel.

In the last few weeks, I have been more than impressed with the number of tyers with recipes that use condoms. Fly tyers are at least creative folks.

Cheers Futzer.

I have used latex of several types, the problem is that it tends to break down over time in the fly box and stick together. The glow in the dark rubbers and several different colored ones work good for caddis, scuds, and other emergers.

:D I too use GITD paints for my flies, although I make my streamer patterns almost entirely out of the GITD paint itself.They are very effective and fun to make! ! :D

Chris I think alot of it is just that some people simply dont know that theres a good deal of glow materials out there more than any other reason. I use some glow flies but mostly stuff for steelhead or salmon.

I think once you toss your fly out 10-20-30 feet and it starts it's drift down to the bottom, forget about it. The glow is only visible within a few feet generally, if that. The fish may see it from further away but once I tie a fly on and it leaves my hand in the dark, I don't see a thing too much.

Good Day,

Wayneb - don't forget stores like Hobby Lobby and Micheal's. Also, some full service fishing shops carry glow int he dark stuff intended for trolling, but can easily be incorporated into flies.

Riffelriver - glad to know that glow pattern worked out for you so well! Did I not say it was a killer? Haha...

It is also interesting that UV has been brought up. There are more and more UV related products out there like the UV Ice Dub for example. And I am glad for it. Why? Because research has shown the fish absolutley respond to UV light and or coloration. That they can see in the UV spectrum.

For those of you coming to the Mason fly tying show on December 6th - you should be in for a glow in the dark treat... that is all I am saying...

Steelie