Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Twist

A few Ties from a beginner.

These are some of the first Flies that I have tied,I have been tying around 4 weeks now,Please Make comments,criticisms,and suggestions! ( I apologize for the poor quality, my camera was dropped recently)

Mouse

post-17443-1227483449_thumb.jpg

Crawdad

post-17443-1227483525_thumb.jpg

Shrimp

post-17443-1227483623_thumb.jpg

Nymph

post-17443-1227483664_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure what this is called... I just saw it on the forums.

post-17443-1227483747_thumb.jpg

A Classic style fly.(Idea from the forums)

post-17443-1227483828_thumb.jpg

Deer Fly (Looked better before the bluegill ate it)

post-17443-1227483867_thumb.jpg

Wooly Bugger

post-17443-1227483908_thumb.jpg

I dont know?, Lol Kinda just made it up as a tied.

post-17443-1227483959_thumb.jpg

And Finally my wasp.

post-17443-1227484027_thumb.jpg

Thank you for viewing

-Mark

Guest Big E

Great start!

One bit of advise that looked like you had issues with on all your flies is crowding the eye. I think all new tyers must go through this as I can remember I had issues with it as well and sometimes I still do, especially on smaller hooks.

Keep practicing, join some swaps, and most of all...have fun.

PS...I liked the wasp.

i noticed the flies got better and better down the line your off to a pretty good sart and like Big E said, watch crowdidng the eye and when you tie your hackle off stroke the fibers back so you dont tie them down on the head but overall your off to a great start keep it up! One more thing is you dont have to use much thread, 3-4 wraps will do the job and watch videos like crazy (thats how I learned)

hehe thanks guys,I have a few things on my list of stuff to get, that will spruce the flys up abit. Yea about they eye thing,sometimes(well most times) when im wrapping my thread will get into the gap on in the eye and the thread builds up there lol,need to mash the eye inwards so it dosent do that as much.Now comes the slow process of changing out all the stuff in the "Fly Tying kit" into an established bench. :lol:

not bad!!! better than some of my begining flies! I am newer at tying too but been doing it a year or so. all ya gotta do is keep it up and keep practicing and in no time you will be tying um like the ones you buy from the stores!

On the crowding the eye thing; it takes less thread to lock stuff in then you think. 3 solid wraps should lock almost anything in (synthetic material sometimes takes more or use some glue). You can also try switching to a smaller 8/0 size thread. It is a lot of fun to wrap the thread around though :yahoo:

I think they look great for your first flies, in another 10 years they will look even better ;-)

it sounds like you have been catching fish using them, so that means they look just fine since that's the idea!

Hello Twist, you have captured the attention of a couple of our new upcoming masters, Brian Brown75 and Big E. Both are entered in our Newbie tying competition, all welcome. There are a couple rules, here's the link

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?sho...c=39202&hl=

Fishaholic69, you're welcome too.

Cheers, Futzer.

Here again you need to start with one pattern and perfect it, B4 moving too far too fast. Find a nicely tied wooly bugger and tie it till you can match it. Keep a razor blade handy and use it when your fly takes a turn for the worst, Practice on a single pattren is key to progression