Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FishyboY

A good 3wt. reel

i finally bought my 3wt. rod. A neighbor was selling a almost brand new Scott G for $350. I have taken it out and fished it with a reel he let me borrow.

since i have a nice rod i want a nice reel to go with it. I was thinking maybe a Orvis Large Arbor trout reel or such. Also any lines that you really like and want to say something about it would be great. Thanks!

A reel on a 3 wt is nothing more than a place to hold line. I would go with whatever you think looks good and balances the rod well. It doesn't necessarily have to be top of the line because you aren't really going to use any of its main features.

If you are thinking Orvis my recommendation would be Battenkill Mid Arbor. I own them in 5wt and 8wt and neither has let me down. And they don't cost a fortune like many reels nowadays seem to do...

BTW congratulations on new G. I had 8'8" G2 in #3 for some time and it was fun to cast a dry fly - could not handle heavy fly or heavy wind, but in the ideal conditions it was great fun rod!

Lamson Konic is a great buy. Really well made, fairly light (though not quite as feathery as the litespeed). The "G" isn't a super light weight rod anyway, so balancing it with a super light reel shouldn't be a top priority.

Recently, I looked at both the Orvis LA and the Lamson Konic side by side (for a 6wt, however) and ended up choosing the Lamson.

All that said, this is primarily an aesthetic choice. As long as a reel doesn't jam or break - and I wouldn't expect either of the above to have any problems there whatsoever - it'll easily serve the purpose for use on a 3wt.

Check out www.albrighttackle.com, they are have a MASSIVE sale right now. I have an Albright Bugatti 3wt reel and it is really nice. Large arbor, smooth disk drag, easy spool change, and it only cost $35 during the sale. Regular $70, and extra spools are only $15 now.

What length is the rod? I'd say the Battenkill Bar Stock I or II. Both less than $100 and machined from 6262 barstock aluminum.

i finally bought my 3wt. rod. A neighbor was selling a almost brand new Scott G for $350. I have taken it out and fished it with a reel he let me borrow.

since i have a nice rod i want a nice reel to go with it. I was thinking maybe a Orvis Large Arbor trout reel or such. Also any lines that you really like and want to say something about it would be great. Thanks!

Do yourself a favor and get an Abel TR1. Awesome reel for a 3 wt. Old school to go with the old school rod.

i like abel's color finishes and such looks way cool :headbang: :headbang:

i dont think i can spare that money when i need a 7wt. by this summer.

what can i say im still in school and make all my money by law mowing!!!!!!!!!!! every cent goes into fly fishing or tying

I love my trusty G. Loomis Venture 3 it looks great and I didn't have to pay much of anything, only $100, it has an excellent drag.