Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
spinner

Favorite tying material?

I like Llama dubbing since it is microscopically hollow and floats naturally. Perfect for dry flies or emergers and if you add some weight its great for streamers, nymphs, wet flies, or scuds. The dubbing has an insect like iridescence and looks natural in the water.

I tie alot of streamers so my fav is EP fibers. They give a ton of movment and shed water extremely well so you can cast a big 5"-6" streamer ties with Ep fiber very well since it doesnt hold alot of water. Great stuff!

Steve

I'm not sure. There's so many good ones...

But if I have to say something, maybe foam, moose hair, pheasant tail and Whitning's hackles.

It’s hard to pick one ‘cause just like being in front of my bench.

I’d have to go with the smaller dry fly hackles because that generally means I’m getting ready for a trout trip. I like Whiting but I have some other stuff too. Peacock is another favorite. I also use a lot of bucktail for my bass and panfish flies. Zonker strips, crystal flash, foam, I could go on and on.

Deerhair, whiting sadles, mr.peacock dubbing, squirral fur and congo hair.

I use others but these are my favorites at the moments

I love marribou, not the easiest thing to put on a hook but the finished effect is the goal, and I love i mean love a really nice high grade ostrich feather. I just love the way a nicely dyed grade A ostrich herl looks palmered on a hook.I also love soft hackle's and SLF dubbing. Oh yah and I just got my chhristmas box from FTD and the skeeter fuzz is awesome dubbing! great structure and workability for those flies 18 and smaller!

I love tying really big pike and muskie flies using all types of rabbit strips... I especially love putting a red collar on a big fly using a cross cut rabbit strip.

When it comes to small stuff I love using midge flex. I put it on must of my stone and mayfly nymphs, and on all my caddis larva and scuds.

I also love ice dub and ice wing.

top 5 is:

racoon dog, artic or crossbreed fox, floss, jungle cock and anglehair....

dont like list: deer/elk/polarbear, marabou, chenille and foam...

What the heck is a "raccoon dog?" Hound?

Oh yeah... ever since I captured the marauding mole in my garden several years ago, and subsequently skinned it and tanned it- dyed it various shades, captured others, blah-blah-blah... I'd have to say mole fur.

Id say my favourite materials are bucktail, slinky fibre(etc. synthetic materials), craft fur and schlappen.

And Big hooks.. ;)