Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
GR8LAKES FLYER

"Next Generation" Wadd's

Since the success of the "Generation X" Wadd's I've been thinking and experimenting with ways to add action and sinking qualities to my flies .

Well after a "few" experiments , sleepless nights , hours at the vise and days on the water ...... :rolleyes: ..........

I've come up with these "Next Generation" Wadd's

P1011216.jpg P1011213.jpg

This is a double tail , I know hard to tell , my pics need a lot of work ........

P1011209.jpg P1011222.jpg

P1011217.jpg

These really sink like a rock , actually they dive during the swing , due to the pheasant feather wing . I flex cement two together , let them dry and then lay a third feather (no glue) over top . The wing acts like a lip on a crank bait . As it dives , it wiggles . The double wing (second wing at the rear of the shank) slows down the descent , but the wiggle is slower , more of a side to side movement . It's not very good in faster water though , it looses all it's action . Never the less , it works great in slower (walking pace) stump filled water which I intended it to be used in .

Hope you like them !

Mike

Mike, those are KILLER........AMAZING flies........i know it's a way over-abused word.........but they GOTTA be, DEADLY!!!!!!! Man, they just look LEATHAL!!!!! You REALLY should be demonstrating how to tye those at the shows..........BET, NOBODY else is. You'd be a VERY welcome addition to any show. i had some Waddington shanks once, but i gave them away to a member here.......well, Say Lah Vee..... :rolleyes: .......we're gonna be in Michigan next weekend, wish you could be there.......Btw, guess what happened today.......we we're diggin' around in the freezer.....and my wife found a big baggie in the back, down underneath some other "Stuff"..........a complete Natural BLACK hen skin. :yahoo: :hyst: :headbang: :bugeyes: :lol: :D Complete with some Moth crystals in the bag........i can't even remember when i put it in there :dunno: .....Good luck on stream with those great flies, mark..... ;)

Since the success of the "Generation X" Wadd's I've been thinking and experimenting with ways to add action and sinking qualities to my flies .

Well after a "few" experiments , sleepless nights , hours at the vise and days on the water ...... :rolleyes: ..........

I've come up with these "Next Generation" Wadd's

P1011216.jpg P1011213.jpg

This is a double tail , I know hard to tell , my pics need a lot of work ........

P1011209.jpg P1011222.jpg

P1011217.jpg

These really sink like a rock , actually they dive during the swing , due to the pheasant feather wing . I flex cement two together , let them dry and then lay a third feather (no glue) over top . The wing acts like a lip on a crank bait . As it dives , it wiggles . The double wing (second wing at the rear of the shank) slows down the descent , but the wiggle is slower , more of a side to side movement . It's not very good in faster water though , it looses all it's action . Never the less , it works great in slower (walking pace) stump filled water which I intended it to be used in .

Hope you like them !

Mike

Hi Mike

Great to see your ideas materialize. The next generation seems just as good as the ones you presented last year (generation X) and how these flies worked.

post-3635-1228146746_thumb.jpg

I am sure that the extra weight might come in handy when the water is F.... cold and you need to get near the bottom.

It is time to tie.

Regards

Jens

Thanks guys .... glad you like them :rolleyes:

Jens,

I'm very happy you found some success with the Gen"X" wadd's .

PM me your address and I'll send you some "originals" .

Mark,

You are very flatterring my friend .

This time before posting , I spent time on the water "testing" these wadd's . It took a bit of time to get what I wanted .... but now I'm happy with the results .

Mike

Hey Bro, aint no biggie.........just the straight up honest turff. Wiff two ff's. :D You dig? mark...... ;) p.s. have a good time at the Birthday Party. :P

actually they dive during the swing , due to the pheasant feather wing . I flex cement two together , let them dry and then lay a third feather (no glue) over top . The wing acts like a lip on a crank bait . As it dives , it wiggles .

Mike

Genius! :headbang:

Mike - I love these next-gen flies as well as your earlier generation X version. I started tying some flies earlier this fall on cotter-pins, which have many similarities to these. I need to add some of these to my box as well.

Question - What material are you using to hold the stinger hook?

Mike - I love these next-gen flies as well as your earlier generation X version. I started tying some flies earlier this fall on cotter-pins, which have many similarities to these. I need to add some of these to my box as well.

Question - What material are you using to hold the stinger hook?

Hi Ray !!

I use #50 PowerPro Braid , which is about the diameter of #12 mono , but it lays really flat on the shank when you secure it . I typically use 8/0 nylon as the securing thread too , again , so it lays flat . Really helps when tying a tinsel or floss body . I like to try to keep a thin body , so it helps the fly to sink .

Dubbed bodies of fur or synthetics actually trap air bubbles and hinder the descent of a fly . If using wool , try to find wool with high contents of Lycra or Spandex . The weave is really tight and lays flat and doesn't have any buoyancy .

OK , I'll end my "sinking material" rant :wacko:

Happy tying !!

Mike

mike

very interestng flies

i will bear these in mind when i put a box of waddington shanks together for the atlantics

all the best

john