Fly Tying
Claudia

Flies from the vice.

Bob,

The one in that picture doesn't have a red butt, but after I tied about 6 or so I thought I should add one, so all the later Down and Dirty's have them.

I'll mess around with adding some bulk to the Charlies, shouldn't be that hard.

Thanks for the tips!

Frank

Here's a couple from last night. The first is a #20 rainbow midge and the other was just playing around at tying dry flies. I've avoided dries, but decided to pull out the hackle and take another crack at it. I know, the tail is a little long, but I did it with moose body hair.

4877097289_6f552d1394_z.jpg

4877097175_215f443c6f_z.jpg

They will both fish. Nice work.

I often sit at my vise and just make things up as I go. When I go fishing, I take all the 'one off' creations and try them out. I have also had a lot of fun with a 'bobbin twirler' that I made, just about any material can be spun in a loop with it. (see my post 'Paper Clip Bobbin Twirler').

Here are some recent creations.

All the best,

Rich.

post-26523-1281819800_thumb.jpg

Here's some more from this weekend. The first is a #20 zebra midge emerger, the second is an #16 olive spinner, and the third is #16 elk hair caddis. The hackle on the caddis is pushed forward because I had it in my fly box before taking the picture. Hopefully it won't hurt the performance.

4895323730_e7fa28e55b_z.jpg

4894728359_8077c4a208_z.jpg

4894728205_65a3f45b47_z.jpg

are those sz 8 streamer hooks?

Who are you asking?

you...I think i have those exact hooks.... (:

are those sz 8 streamer hooks?

Who are you asking?

you...I think i have those exact hooks.... (:

Well it's different kinds of hooks. Most of them are Mustad R50 and TMC 3769 #10-12, so no streamerhooks. The killer bug imitates a scud, hence my range of sizes.

Here's some more from this weekend. The first is a #20 zebra midge emerger, the second is an #16 olive spinner, and the third is #16 elk hair caddis. The hackle on the caddis is pushed forward because I had it in my fly box before taking the picture. Hopefully it won't hurt the performance.

4895323730_e7fa28e55b_z.jpg

4894728359_8077c4a208_z.jpg

4894728205_65a3f45b47_z.jpg

Thats the way I like my hackle to look on an EHC. Having it point that direction makes it much livlier when its swinging.

Any fans of Swedneck's site will recognize (I hope) this pass at his Copper John:

img0913p.jpg img0897t.jpg

Great pattern, but I've tied so many small flies today I got sick of fairy-hair thread and hooks that I can accidently inhale, so tied up a brute before going to bed:

woolheadmuddlerlrg.jpg

Aren't #2 hooks refreshing?

Frank

P.S. If you haven't been to Swedneck Flyfishing yet, you're missing out. I'll never look at ear plugs the same way again!

Killer bugs..

post-16415-1281822147_thumb.jpg

Very impressivee Gustav! I don't think I've ever seen that many killer bugs in one place, or as well tied :)