Fly Tying
Claudia

Flies from the vice.

yo jan thanks for the comment! i was NOT offended in any way..... those are the posts that really help me improve my tying! thanks for the help bro!

what i was using was 8/0 red UNI and 8/0 orange UNI but you cant see the orange...

Oh okay! I thought it was floss :blink: My bad.

i am thinking about picking up some supplies from feathersmc. I tied this with a bunch of stuff i use for trout patterns!! =o i think if i got some stuff specifically for this type of tying it would make them better!

yah fishboy, go to feathersmc, they got everything, as far as your flies go, for mouning the wing, you need a z-bend on the stem of the wing so it will lay low over the body, only do 3 or 4 wraps of the peacock hearl, floss needs to be a lot smoother, try seperating out a few of the strands of the floss, it will lay on there smoother and flatten it out, i think your problem is it is getting wound up making it round, you want it flat. Tie as many of these as you can, and if you order from feathersmc, get some blind eyes and gut.

Yeah you might look into getting some full dress materials, I have never ordered from Feathersmc so I can't say.

Brian I thought he was using floss too but apparently he used Orange and red thread for the body.

Dear fishyboy.

I love that your reaching towards a classic and i think you made a great effort on the latest flie. if you want to reduce the winghight you can pull away more fibers on the down side of the feather (the side towards the hook shank) and leave some extra fibers on the top side. if you wet your fingers stroking the fibers on the side towards the hook shank you can actually get the wing to lie close to the body. that way when you tie in the wing the stripe on the feather your using will be nearly strait instead of tilted. try to have the black line in line with the but.

Your thought about contacting John McLain is a good idea if you want to do some classic tying. John is a great guy and im sure he can give you some great advise on what materials you need to start of with.

Bearhug C

Just got back at it after a couple months mucked up with school work. Thought I would start working on some patterns for carp. I have yet to fish for them but they're on the list of goals for this year. Based off of memory of what is out there for carp patterns i threw these together.

dude those look great! i think they would catch some carp! :headbang:

nice barbie fly jindara!

Thanks fishy. I'm really enjoying your flys as well.

yah fishboy, go to feathersmc, they got everything, as far as your flies go, for mouning the wing, you need a z-bend on the stem of the wing so it will lay low over the body, only do 3 or 4 wraps of the peacock hearl, floss needs to be a lot smoother, try seperating out a few of the strands of the floss, it will lay on there smoother and flatten it out, i think your problem is it is getting wound up making it round, you want it flat. Tie as many of these as you can, and if you order from feathersmc, get some blind eyes and gut.

wow brian! i thought you were dead :crying: or worse gave up fly tying! :bugeyes: :unsure:

thanks for all the comments all! cant wait to get some good materials for this type of thing!

Ya, wheres that boy been?

I think he discovered either girls or video games...maybe sports of some sort... :hyst:

gorgeous, Claudia. The classic patterns, to me at any rate, are where the lines separating fly tying and fly art become skewed radically. Amazing fly!

havent found video games yet, man but football and weights keep me busy now days but sometime, im just gonna get all my tying stuff down and tie ahaha

Rio Esva.

Bearhug C

Incredible flies Cladia :jumpy: please keep em coming! I like the body veiling, is the summer duck married to teal?

well guys, i kept my promise, and got my tying stuff all out, i tied 2 flies, one was a warm up because i havent tied in like 9 months so here it is, i dont think its bad at all infact i think it is one of my best flies ive tied :headbang: im back!

post-16409-1266074933_thumb.jpg