Fly Tying
Claudia

Flies from the vice.

a little pheasant tail emerger. i know it is overhackled. that is because there is 3 wraps of fine wire at the bottom to keep the bottom under water and the top part needs to float! I also want to use it with dry dropper rigs!

post-18259-1270219760_thumb.jpg

You really don't need the wire and all that hackle to get the back end to sink and the top to float. All you have to do is wet the back end for it to sink. You can also put some floatant on the hackle but that isn't a must :)

I wanted to start up a tropic for All tyers to post what whats done at their vice latly. i would like this tropic to be for Everybody, pictures, comments, new ideas, helpline and so on.

Regards to all off you.

Claudia

It´s agood idea!

I´m trying a BWO "transition" for that moments when the browns become ULTRA-selective instead of of use a dry and a nymph in tandem but i have a problems with the fly portions and the hook

Bye

a little pheasant tail emerger. i know it is overhackled. that is because there is 3 wraps of fine wire at the bottom to keep the bottom under water and the top part needs to float! I also want to use it with dry dropper rigs!

Looks good to me. How about showing it off in my hopper/dropper swap???

The body segments are anything but even, but not bad for the first one of the day...

post-24279-1270267897_thumb.jpg

post-24279-1270267903_thumb.jpg

post-24279-1270267911_thumb.jpg

You really don't need the wire and all that hackle to get the back end to sink and the top to float. All you have to do is wet the back end for it to sink. You can also put some floatant on the hackle but that isn't a must :)

yeah you really need to wire back there. I field tested the fly yesterday and i think i will even add a turn or two more a wire. You really need to keep the tail part facing straight down to make it work like it should. I did pretty good yesterday with it. Caught this nice brownie.

post-18259-1270316923_thumb.jpg

Looks good to me. How about showing it off in my hopper/dropper swap???

officially it is not a hopper. mainly to imitate an emerging bwo. a little big though

yeah you really need to wire back there. I field tested the fly yesterday and i think i will even add a turn or two more a wire. You really need to keep the tail part facing straight down to make it work like it should. I did pretty good yesterday with it. Caught this nice brownie.

post-18259-1270316923_thumb.jpg

Try it without wire. I have done it many times with Klinks and it works as it should.

i did not work. the tails would stay up like a regular dry. the first one i did was without wire and it did not work. just looked like a deformed parachute.

i did not work. the tails would stay up like a regular dry.

The tails are half the length of regular dry fly. Also, it has the benefit of a heavier hook to weight it down, and the Klink body style all helps to sink the back end.

However if you don't wet the back end, it will certainly float for a short while. That is the importance of wetting it.

Note if you will this fly---the back end was merely rubbed with water and it sank. I have tested multiple times stream side and it does the same. Yes, it is a different body style--but it is a similar concept.

However--if you actually did try out that pattern without wire (and you wetted it before casting) and it floated, than I can't argue against that. To each his own opinion~

041.jpg

036.jpg

yeah jan- i tried it out. first i floated it in my bathtub. then through a wild stream while fishing.

Smallie I am so relieved that i am not the only one that tests in a fish tank!!!!!

Ha ha, yes I often test my dries in my tank--gives me the 'fishes perspective.' :lol: