Fly Tying
Kevin

Saugeen River, Ontario

Hi folks, I noticed at least a couple Canadians posting on this site, so perhaps they or any of the rest of you can offer a little advice.

I am going to be passing through Southampton Ontario on my way to another destination, and I thought I might kill a couple-few hours fishing the Saugeen River.

Any advice anyone can offer would be appreciated: good patterns to try there if I will be fishing late afternoon-evening, suggested access points, or whether it is even worth my time to delay my drive, etc.

Really any advice you want to offer I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Give Jay's Fly Shop in London a call. I know Jay personally and he fishes the Saugeen quite a bit. Mostly for steelies although I've heard some nice smallmouth come out of there too. You can reach him at:

(519) 672-5487

384 Hamilton Road,

London, Ontario

Canada

http://www.jaysflyshop.com

Also, I know Artimus and Matokuwapi from this site are around the London area. They may be able to give you some specifics. Cheers,

Kevin,

If you are driving up the coast (hwy21), you are going to cross some great rivers (Bayfield, Maitland, Nine Mile etc). I fish these rivers for steelies for the most part, but there are some great bassing holes this time of year. Look further upstream for the most part in the deeper pools. Muddlers, clousers, and such seem to be the ticket this time of year, PLUS NYMPHS!!!

Art

Guy I work with fishes that river and fishes stonefly nymphs successfully.

I want to hit that river before the season comes to an end but I really want to fish whitemans creek. People rave about that body of water near paris ontario.

for hatch charts on the saugeen river, check

http://www.grandrivertroutfitters.com/Rive...geriverinfo.htm

look under hatches and then the saugeen.

I fish Whitemans alot. It is a great creek, elk hair caddis in a 14-18 tied with natural coastal deer instead of elk works the best for me this time of year. The Grand is also a great spot if your up this way. Fish Whitemans from 24 up to Aps mill you'll run into less people splashing around in the water.