Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
troutnabout

Project Healing Waters Challenge Swap # 2

[/size]:blink: No rest for the weary. Back in October I had the pleasure of meeting and fishing with a vet who among other disabilities had a glass eye. I watched in awe as he negotiated depth perception problems and skillfully tied flies on his leader. This time the challenge is visual. You must wear an eye covering that totally blocks your vision in one eye. Tie twelve of any size and type. Four of your flies will be donated to vets who are currently in the PHW program.

Swap is`limited to the first 7 who claim thier spot with an "I'm in". Good luck.

SWAP IS NOW CLOSED. LET'S GET TYIN

Flies are due January 30th 2009.

1. Troutnabout TBD

2 Cencafly TBD

3. Inconnu TBD

4. Mikey99 TBD

5. Bamboo 10 TBD

6. Chris Martin: Caddis life cycle flies

Fellow swappers, I got some wise council from Dr. Vette on avoiding eye strain and minimizing depth perception problems..

He advises that you :

1. determine your dominant eye and place the patch on the non-dominant eye. See below for instructions.

2.. Frequent breaks

I can't remember which one is dominate, i think the one that moves least or doesn't seem to move. But you determine dominate eye by placing your thumb at arms length (like sighting a gun) over an object that is on the other side of the room and close one eye at a time. You should notice that it appears that your thumb moves when one closes but not (or not as much) when the other closes. You should put the patch on the non-dominate eye so as to reduce strain or complications. This will also help to get depth perception a little closer. Most people follow by which hand is dominate, but some lefties were actually forced as children to go right handed and a few others are just wired opposite.

P.S. Keep in mind that for the last PHW swap he used on hand and only has use of one eye. He wins the challenger handsdown and my utmost respect.

post-5452-1228956904_thumb.jpg

I would love to join this swap, but I'm in Canada... will I have any problem sending fur and feathers across the border? If it's not an issue, I'm in. I'll do a few sets of the caddis life cycle. Larva, pupa, wet, emerger and dun

I would love to join this swap, but I'm in Canada... will I have any problem sending fur and feathers across the border? If it's not an issue, I'm in. I'll do a few sets of the caddis life cycle. Larva, pupa, wet, emerger and dun

Chris: People from Canada participate swaps all the time. Never encountered a problem unless the feathers and fur are still attached to the original animal. Glad you're joining. Thank you,Steve