Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
troutnabout

Project Healing Waters Challenge Swap # 2

I'd love to be in if space is available !!!!!

Being a vet--NAVY

father is vet--NAVY -- retired after 25 years

grandfather faught in a few wars-- RIP pap-pap

uncle was in the service

brother is still on active duty-- 11 years as a marine and now a Captain in the Army--stationed in Iraq

I would love to try this swap..............even if it is full.........I could still donate a dozen flies

I had my right shoulder pretty much totally put back together in 1995--while stationed in Hawaii--it just fell apart

I had my left shoulder partially replaced Mar 20, 2008............forced to retire as a Pennsylvania Waterways Conservation Officer--- Fish Warden............still having many problems with the left shoulder..........pretty much useless

I would love to help the fellas out.................the patch thing should be tough

Welcome aboard> Glad to have you. PHW program was started by a Navy guy. Capt. Ed Nicholson. Looks like you have a double challenge with your shoulder. I respect and appreciate you and what you've sacrificed for our country.. Steve

I'd love to be in if space is available !!!!!

Being a vet--NAVY

father is vet--NAVY -- retired after 25 years

grandfather faught in a few wars-- RIP pap-pap

uncle was in the service

brother is still on active duty-- 11 years as a marine and now a Captain in the Army--stationed in Iraq

I would love to try this swap..............even if it is full.........I could still donate a dozen flies

I had my right shoulder pretty much totally put back together in 1995--while stationed in Hawaii--it just fell apart

I had my left shoulder partially replaced Mar 20, 2008............forced to retire as a Pennsylvania Waterways Conservation Officer--- Fish Warden............still having many problems with the left shoulder..........pretty much useless

I would love to help the fellas out.................the patch thing should be tough

trout........thanks.......have not sacrificed much for the country other than my time and loyalty...............was not hurt due to conflict or anything like that............my shoulder literally just decided not to work one day............doctors said it was the worst shoulder they have ever seen............funny thing........it wasn't really a problem until the day it said enough is enough...........they removed bone chips the size of half dollars and said I had abnormal bone formation..........last doctor said the same thing........abnormal bone formation and degenerative bone disease.........he was pretty much left scratching his head at the situation--mostly because I am only 35............the last surgery went well, but the doctor does not like the shoulder.........it is still very loose and grinds a lot..............I was told to deal with it............no problem.........the only other thing to do is to totally replace the shoulder...........which at my age..........and my antics........would be shot almost every 2 years or so..........it is what it is............you sally forth.............and realize, it could always be worse !!!! my kids are healthy and my family is fine...........can't ask for more than that

now, tying flies with one eye...............that will certainly be a challenge..............

what type of fishing are the guys / gals doing? trout in lakes or rivers..........bluegills and smallies??? what are they fishing for?

At the Va centers,it's usually bass and bluegill on a pond. When we take them on outings it's river fishing for trout.

trout........thanks.......have not sacrificed much for the country other than my time and loyalty...............was not hurt due to conflict or anything like that............my shoulder literally just decided not to work one day............doctors said it was the worst shoulder they have ever seen............funny thing........it wasn't really a problem until the day it said enough is enough...........they removed bone chips the size of half dollars and said I had abnormal bone formation..........last doctor said the same thing........abnormal bone formation and degenerative bone disease.........he was pretty much left scratching his head at the situation--mostly because I am only 35............the last surgery went well, but the doctor does not like the shoulder.........it is still very loose and grinds a lot..............I was told to deal with it............no problem.........the only other thing to do is to totally replace the shoulder...........which at my age..........and my antics........would be shot almost every 2 years or so..........it is what it is............you sally forth.............and realize, it could always be worse !!!! my kids are healthy and my family is fine...........can't ask for more than that

now, tying flies with one eye...............that will certainly be a challenge..............

what type of fishing are the guys / gals doing? trout in lakes or rivers..........bluegills and smallies??? what are they fishing for?

Troutnabout

Just did some reading about Project Healing Waters...........again I will state this is a grand thing........but

saw the words Spring Ridge Club...........they are a big NO NO in pennsylvania.............they are not nice people.....glad they are helping our vets, but I wonder who they are really trying to help.........themselves.........seeing this great outreach program being used or attached to the Spring Ridge Club leaves a very very bad taste in my mouth........

they will use this as GOOD publicity when their name is MUD in PA and cater to the wealthy...........very wealthy.........I would suggest that everybody look into the Spring Ridge Club and make their own determination as if they are good guys or bad guys.........I know I have made mine.............the entire Little Juniata case was crazy............while it was going through the court system they would harass everyone who fished their property--even though if people stayed within' the high water mark it was totally legal...........they tried to bully a friend and I once............that really didn't work..........and they gave up and left us alone after they realized we were not moving for anyone...........they even fed their pets ( fish ) while we were there...........

just feel very sick at the moment

I understand that it is important to get our vets on fish...........and on good fishable water..........but at what cost???

there are so many great waters in Pennsylvania to fish.........

just my thoughts.........I surely don't speak for anyone else............

The vets were fishing on Spruce Creek which is almost totally private waters--lots and lots of stocked and well fed fish in the private areas...........the only open water is a small area, George Harvey area on the creek.............if you don't know about George Harvey......search up.....when it comes to Fly Fishing in Pennsylvania......he was the man.......RIP

here is a good start: http://pabook.libraries.psu.edu/palitmap/b...ey__George.html

The wife made me a very sexy patch for the contest...........I will donate it with the flies.........one of the guys could wear it at a christmas party next year or a new years eve party.........the women will be crawling all over the guy who is wearing this patch...........

I am tying a beadtail caddis............and let me say, it took forever and a day to get the depth perception thing down.....placing the beads on 6/0 thread was miserable...............I am also doing this fly for the go to swap.......what a time difference in getting the beads on the thread...........

I think I might try to finish some tonight........we'll see................I might actually time the difference

If I can get the wife to snap a photo of me tying.........I will attach it to my next post so you can see my eye patch that the wifey made

Happy Holidays..............and a prosperous New Year to all.....................

The wife made me a very sexy patch for the contest...........I will donate it with the flies.........one of the guys could wear it at a christmas party next year or a new years eve party.........the women will be crawling all over the guy who is wearing this patch...........

I am tying a beadtail caddis............and let me say, it took forever and a day to get the depth perception thing down.....placing the beads on 6/0 thread was miserable...............I am also doing this fly for the go to swap.......what a time difference in getting the beads on the thread...........

I think I might try to finish some tonight........we'll see................I might actually time the difference

If I can get the wife to snap a photo of me tying.........I will attach it to my next post so you can see my eye patch that the wifey made

Happy Holidays..............and a prosperous New Year to all.....................

Thanks for your posts. I will forward your concerns to the president of PHW. As far as your tying, did you see the earlier post about determining and using your dominant eye. It might help some. Please do post a pic of your eye patch, maybe the fish will rhink it's sexy too.lol

Used my dominant eye............just like at the rifle range.........flies took only a little longer to do.......the hardest part was using the feather to clean out the eye after the head cement was applied........sometimes one shot......sometimes 7......but putting the beads on the thread was the hardest part..........

they look alright...........I like to keep my patterns simple............tied them on a size 16 Mustad c49s hook

I love this fly............troutn'--------send me an address..........I will ship the flies soon--I will add a few more for the guys

post-18624-1230866858_thumb.jpg

post-18624-1230866984_thumb.jpg

Used my dominant eye............just like at the rifle range.........flies took only a little longer to do.......the hardest part was using the feather to clean out the eye after the head cement was applied........sometimes one shot......sometimes 7......but putting the beads on the thread was the hardest part..........

they look alright...........I like to keep my patterns simple............tied them on a size 16 Mustad c49s hook

I love this fly............troutn'--------send me an address..........I will ship the flies soon--I will add a few more for the guys

Love the eye patch....your wife must be awesome....she put alot of thought into the design.