Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
troutnabout

Project Healing Waters Challenge Swap # 2

Used my dominant eye............just like at the rifle range.........flies took only a little longer to do.......the hardest part was using the feather to clean out the eye after the head cement was applied........sometimes one shot......sometimes 7......but putting the beads on the thread was the hardest part..........

they look alright...........I like to keep my patterns simple............tied them on a size 16 Mustad c49s hook

I love this fly............troutn'--------send me an address..........I will ship the flies soon--I will add a few more for the guys

Love the eye patch....your wife must be awesome....she put alot of thought into the design.

I just finished up my 12 flies, I did the black rubber legged dragon in a size 10, figured it makes a great warm water fly and will also work for trout. I never realized how much difference not having the use of one eye could have the kind of effect it does. You don't know how many times I would try to trim something only to find that I missed the thread or the feather. I also tied a fly using only one hand and all I can say is I now realize how hard it must be for the folks that have lost a limb or have had other injuries that participate in the PHW program. My hat is off to them and also to all of the folks that assist with the PHW.

Let me know where I need to send the flies.

GJ

I never realized how much difference not having the use of one eye could have the kind of effect it does. You don't know how many times I would try to trim something only to find that I missed the thread or the feather.

I am sorry to interupt but i had to respond to this one.

Now you can understand why SCCA and NHRA both pulled my license' back in 99. I still miss the hook eyes when tying on a tippet. Just for fun try fishing an hour or so like that this next season... Please go slower and pay more attention if you are in the water though. In truth i found over time that i "see" things others don't through hearing, smelling and touch... I became more alert and noticed what i always ignored before and i think that that is why i "sense" more. It took a long time for my brain to adjust though, and i still trim things wrong all the time.

Good luck on this endevor gents...try to learn to close your eyes and see the world around you... you will be amazed at what you can actually see with-out your eyes. BTW every-one just seems more convinced that i am nuts when ever i say that... untill they try.

Glad I wasn't trimming or clipping anything..........I had the darndest time putting those tiny beads on the thread...........it took forever and a day............

I normally sit and take it all in while fishing..........just take a break and check out the critters and whatnot...........never closed my eyes though...........I will give that a chance sometime this summer..........or fall when chasing the salmon.....maybe it will make the stink stinkier...........I love the smell of rotted salmon...............MMM MMMMM

Well I am done! I have to apologize to anyone who has one eye. I didn't think this was going to be that tough, but it was tougher than I ever could have imagined.

Trimming anything was hard, but I found that touching what I was trimming, with a finger of one hand made it easier to operate the scissors by placing them against the locating finger and going from there.

The other thing that suprised me was that I got a mild sense of motion sickness while tying and I had to take a couple of breaks. Did anyone else have this problem?

Well I am done! I have to apologize to anyone who has one eye. I didn't think this was going to be that tough, but it was tougher than I ever could have imagined.

Trimming anything was hard, but I found that touching what I was trimming, with a finger of one hand made it easier to operate the scissors by placing them against the locating finger and going from there.

The other thing that suprised me was that I got a mild sense of motion sickness while tying and I had to take a couple of breaks. Did anyone else have this problem?

Kerry:

Glad this one challenged you as well. Yes,I am having the same issues, eye strain and accuracy in trimming are a big issue. I also started out threading the bobin,that was a challenge too. Can't wait to see your creations

Kerry:

Glad this one challenged you as well. Yes,I am having the same issues, eye strain and accuracy in trimming are a big issue. I also started out threading the bobin,that was a challenge too. Can't wait to see your creations

Did mine on one of the days off during the holidays. I found it like you guys, not too bad tying, but very disorienting. I decided to keep the patch on during breaks just to see how it was again. I had an eye injury some years ago and wore a patch for about week. Keeping your hand out of a moving engine cooling fan while working on cars was more difficult than you may think one eyed! :blink: I think I had more trouble just walking this time, not to mention I darn near burnt my mustache lightin' a smoke! What a dweeb!!!!!!

Mine are ready too Trout-n-about. Need the addy!

Look forward to seein' ya TNB at the next PHW!

BTW I have an evvelope you left last time when you ducked out early. Dunno if its important? If its a bomb...... you lose!!!

Wrenchfly

Did mine on one of the days off during the holidays. I found it like you guys, not too bad tying, but very disorienting. I decided to keep the patch on during breaks just to see how it was again. I had an eye injury some years ago and wore a patch for about week. Keeping your hand out of a moving engine cooling fan while working on cars was more difficult than you may think one eyed! :blink: I think I had more trouble just walking this time, not to mention I darn near burnt my mustache lightin' a smoke! What a dweeb!!!!!!

Mine are ready too Trout-n-about. Need the addy!

Look forward to seein' ya TNB at the next PHW!

BTW I have an evvelope you left last time when you ducked out early. Dunno if its important? If its a bomb...... you lose!!!

Wrenchfly

Wrenchfly;

I know you wore the patch because Ms.Wrenchfly liked it. The envelope contained the name and GPS coordinates of the best fishing whloe in the entire world. Unfortunately 10.000 other people got the location when my PC was hacked. Now the hole sucksj ust like most ofthe other secret places we fish....

Are you goint to be at the Charlotte FFS ? If so I'll see you there. PHW has a booth again. Take care, Steve

Well that sure was tougher than I thought it would be. I have a new found respect for those who have lost vision in an eye and the adjustments they have to make just to negotiate everyday activities. Glad I partook of this swap.

Depth perception created a lot of difficulty. Tied up some Fox's Poopahs and there is fire involved. You have to singe the end of the body chenille. Kept missing the flame with the chenille. I also noticed that I couldn't place the materials on the hook right. Everything ended up a bit rotated toward me on the hook. There was also nausea, eye strain, and most of all frustration.

Many members of my family have served over the years and when I was working on these it brought to mind the things they have done. If I may, I would like to share something my father wrote in his diary from WWII. It is brief, but to me is very poignant.

"Went to Nagasaki today. Not much left."

That was all that was written for that entry.

Anyway, the flies are done and will be in the mail on Tuesday. Thanks for hosting and thanks for letting me join.

Is this full? If it is not I would like to join. I'm always into a new flytying challenge. I will tie a small streamer of some kind.

Oh darn, I see that it is closed. Next time, I guess. Maybe I'll try some "one eyed" tyin' just for the fun of it.

I wish I'd have seen it earlier.

Is this full? If it is not I would like to join. I'm always into a new flytying challenge. I will tie a small streamer of some kind.

Oh darn, I see that it is closed. Next time, I guess. Maybe I'll try some "one eyed" tyin' just for the fun of it.

I wish I'd have seen it earlier.

Sukhoi

Yeah it's closed. Maybe you can get the next one. thanks for your interest

After finding out what it was like to tie flies with a handicap, an article in the Autumn 2008 issue of FFF Flyfisher magazine caught my eye. A group from the Evergreen Fly Fishing Club in Washington has developed a device that can be attached to a vise they call the extra hand. It is a simple device that should be easy to build and if you get the magazine check it out. Here is a photo with the tools, post-4142-1232319307_thumb.jpg

They will send you information on how to build some for your local PHW group, I know that I am going to try one. If you don't get the FFF magazine and are interested drop me a PM and I will forward you the information.

GJ