Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
troutnabout

Project Healing Waters Challenge Swap # 2

After finding out what it was like to tie flies with a handicap, an article in the Autumn 2008 issue of FFF Flyfisher magazine caught my eye. A group from the Evergreen Fly Fishing Club in Washington has developed a device that can be attached to a vise they call the extra hand. It is a simple device that should be easy to build and if you get the magazine check it out. Here is a photo with the tools, post-4142-1232319307_thumb.jpg

They will send you information on how to build some for your local PHW group, I know that I am going to try one. If you don't get the FFF magazine and are interested drop me a PM and I will forward you the information.

GJ

GJ Just got my mag yesterday and had the same thoughts about the PHW guys. Thanks for pointing this out. Are you going to be at the Charlotte Fly fishing Show? We will have a booth . Come by andsay hello,meet some of the vets.

Well that sure was tougher than I thought it would be. I have a new found respect for those who have lost vision in an eye and the adjustments they have to make just to negotiate everyday activities. Glad I partook of this swap.

Depth perception created a lot of difficulty. Tied up some Fox's Poopahs and there is fire involved. You have to singe the end of the body chenille. Kept missing the flame with the chenille. I also noticed that I couldn't place the materials on the hook right. Everything ended up a bit rotated toward me on the hook. There was also nausea, eye strain, and most of all frustration.

Many members of my family have served over the years and when I was working on these it brought to mind the things they have done. If I may, I would like to share something my father wrote in his diary from WWII. It is brief, but to me is very poignant.

"Went to Nagasaki today. Not much left."

That was all that was written for that entry.

Anyway, the flies are done and will be in the mail on Tuesday. Thanks for hosting and thanks for letting me join.

Cencafly Thanks for your support of this swap. My involvement in PHW started out of honor for my father who was aWWII vet. How awesome that you have your fathers diary.

After finding out what it was like to tie flies with a handicap, an article in the Autumn 2008 issue of FFF Flyfisher magazine caught my eye. A group from the Evergreen Fly Fishing Club in Washington has developed a device that can be attached to a vise they call the extra hand. It is a simple device that should be easy to build and if you get the magazine check it out. Here is a photo with the tools, post-4142-1232319307_thumb.jpg

They will send you information on how to build some for your local PHW group, I know that I am going to try one. If you don't get the FFF magazine and are interested drop me a PM and I will forward you the information.

GJ

GJ Just got my mag yesterday and had the same thoughts about the PHW guys. Thanks for pointing this out. Are you going to be at the Charlotte Fly fishing Show? We will have a booth . Come by andsay hello,meet some of the vets.

I will be working the CFFC booth at the show and hopefully will have time to get one of these built by then for you to look at.

See you at the show and keep up the good work.

GJ