Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

fishermans island state park

well, finally after a 2 weeks of debating we are heading to fishermans island state park for the weekend. from what i read on the dnr website, there are 3 trout streams that flow through the park.

has anyone every been here before?? for those that dont know where the hell this place is (join the club!:)), it is north of TC and west of charlevoix right along lake michigan.

can anyone give me any tips/hints of what is hatching and different rivers/lakes to fish. we are not bringing the boat up this time, so we will be shore fishing in the lakes. of course the waders and fly rods are going for my enjoyment though!

the names of the creeks in the park are (mods, feel free to amend these if you feel necessary) McGeach, whiskey (has to be good with a name like that) and stover. i know that the boardman is not to far away from there also if i feel the urge to chase some trophies.

i plan on doing alot of exploring while up here for 4 days, but if anyone can give some insight i would very much appreciate it.

thanks

sean

Try the Jordan and the Boardman between Shumsky and the Keystone Rapids. Just don't get sucked into wasting too much time on the upper stretch. The best water is the 2nd half. I would think brown and grey drakes along with sulphers. Ants, beetles and hoppers will also take fish in there. There's some real nice lumber for bigger offerings

thanks ralf, i took some time to check this rivers out and was pretty impressed. i will post a report in a bit.

I haven't been up there in years abd when I was....I wasn't fishing. Du uh!

Just a wee bit of a caution. It's a beatuful park...enjoy it BUT also think about doing "tic checks". My son came down with Lyme disease soon after our trip there....many years ago. Luckily I spotted the EARLY signs quickly and got him treatment. Those were back in the days when most docs here in Ontario had never even heard of it.

Take a side trip to the town of Benzonia if you get a chance and check out the Gwenn Frostic Studio. She passed away a couple of years ago but I believe the studio is still there. I garantee you'll love it if you've never been there before.

Sign in to follow this