Fly Tying
grizzlyking

What are the best bass fly's

I want to start fishing for bass next year and I'm wondering what are the best bass pattern's to start tying.I have done some popper's and some large bunny leech's so far but would like some ofter idea's. I will post some picture's of the fly's that I have tied later on today.Thanks

Alot of flashy streamers work really well, as do wool head leaches/sculpins. I would check out the database for bass patterns, you will most likely have to do some trial and error and find what works for you. No one can really give you a guarantee that a certain fly will work, cause not all flies work every where, eg. I cannot, for the life or me, catch a bass on a popper, but give me bunny leaches and i'll catch a truck load, all day, almost any time of the year.

I like to use clousers, divers, and anything with a lot of movement underwater. Maribou, rabbit, fox, and some flash. Try adding lead wire or bullet heads with this and try some rabbit zonkers too if your tying them. I do mostly river bassing in Texas so its mostly craw patterns in red/black, brown/red, and brown/black and bigger(4-6") suspending streamer type patterns. Bigger wooly buggers with mono guards too.

Out here on the California Delta, when water temps are up, I spend the majority of each season fishing strictly topwater for largemouths. Just doesn't get much better than having your fly disappear in a toilet flush or seeing the v-wake of a good bass charge your fly from 10" away. For this topwater bassin', I usually only carry a few deer hair patterns tied on Tiemco TMC8089 size 2 hooks:

1. Dahlberg Diver -- green and yellow body, yellow strung neck hackles and yellow marabou for tail, dozen or so peacock Krystal Flash strands in tail.

2. Dahlberg Diver -- All black, including black Krystal Flash in tail, with a yellow head.

3. Tap's Bug -- white body and tail with a red head.

Topwater flies for largemouths are often very effective. . . you just have to fish them with confidence.

5andhalfbass2.jpg

Grizzlyking, I grew up in BC not too far from you. For BC bass I would by tying clouser minnows in all kinds of colours especially chartruce and white. I would also have an assortment of buggy crayfish patterns, with lots of movement. Take a look at some of the jigs, tubes and soft plastic chunks that spin fishermen are using, and try to imitate them with feathers and fur.

a good pattern to immitate a tube that a spin fisherman would use is a wooly bugger with a marabou tail but add a few hackle feathers that are almost twice as long as the hook shank. this immiates a tube or a rubber worm wich are one of the most versitile lures ever. tie it unwaited. cast it out and let it sink real slow. count to 5 or 10 and then strip the line real quick and short. this shoots the fly up the water column. let it sink again and more then likely there will be some weight in the other end.

;)

sniksoh

For warmwater lakes look at the pattern for the Black Boudreaux on this site.

So far this fall I have taken dozens of bass (largest 4 pounds) on this tiny fly.

Fishing it as a dropper under a popper or behind a larger fly like a bunny leach has been very effective.

VERY effective.

And best of all, it is an easy tie.