Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
RoyalWulff

Green Highlander

This is another tube fly I made with Kelsons mixed wing in mind. The wing has an underwing of green squirrel tail, but then has GP tail, goose "mixed" but tied in the round. I felt it looked pretty cool but I hope it fishes well.

Phil

post-10056-1228847282_thumb.jpg

post-10056-1228847292_thumb.jpg

post-10056-1228847300_thumb.jpg

It just came to me that I should try to incorporate some different materials in wings aside from for fur or different hairs. I really like the look of the mixed wing flies you see on the classic fly tying board, and it came to me that feather fibers would be perfect and would look great. I added the harder squirrel tail hair for an underwing to give stability to the feather fibers.

Phil

It just came to me that I should try to incorporate some different materials in wings aside from for fur or different hairs. I really like the look of the mixed wing flies you see on the classic fly tying board, and it came to me that feather fibers would be perfect and would look great. I added the harder squirrel tail hair for an underwing to give stability to the feather fibers.

Phil

Phil

you sure have something there, and i think you came up with a unic ide' on a tube. have you tryed fishing it yet?

C

This is another tube fly I made with Kelsons mixed wing in mind. The wing has an underwing of green squirrel tail, but then has GP tail, goose "mixed" but tied in the round. I felt it looked pretty cool but I hope it fishes well.

Phil

Hi Phil

Great looking tube. I am sure it will work all variations of Green Highlander do. :rolleyes:

A tying advise. What you can do to make the fly even more visible is to mix in a few strands of Angel hair. It has a great effect in the water. We use it a lot in Scandinavia.

Regards

Jens

Phil

You can try different buck tail,have you seen Poul Jorgensen book Laksefluer? he has pattern on what he called Stack-wing ,he use different schlappen hackle in the wing.