Fly Tying
countrykat

Dyeing question

I have a bunch of deer tails coming in from a local bait shop. Fresh from this years rifle season. What do you use to dye them and how do you go about doing it?

Rit dye will work, but for best results you'll want to use an acid dye. The one I've used is called Jacquard, and comes in a powder form. You just mix it with hot water, but not quite boiling. Add some white vinegar & put the tails into the dye. (like dyeing easter eggs) Let them set for awhile, then take them out & rinse them in cold water, then set them out to dry. The results you get will depend on how much dye you use & what colors you're trying to dye.

You also want to clean the tails real good with a dish washing detergent/degreaser, and rinse real good. This will remove dirt & oils that could hinder the dyeing process. You don't need to dry them in between the cleaning & dyeing if you're dyeing right away.

Some fly shops carry Jacquard dyes, as do some crafts shops. Here's a phone number off of a jar I have, that you can use to contact them. I don't know if they sell direct, but I'm sure they'll tell you, or at least direct you to one of their dealers. (707) 433 - 9577

You will want to wear gloves & don't use utensils that are used for cooking. I bought some stainless pots that I only use for dye, as the chemicals in dyes can be harmful if ingested.

I hope this is some help!

Ah yes the recurring dye question. This has been discussed many time. If you do a search on dyeing you will find some other very useful posts. A.K. Best has a good book on the subject Dyeing and Bleaching Natural Fly-Tying Materials (Hardcover). $12 at alibris.com

I have used RIT dye successfully on duck feathers. There is also Veniard and Fly dye . http://www.organicdye.com/flydyes.asp. You can buy small jars at http://www.anglersworkshop.com/categories.aspx?catid=1439 . My next dye job will be with the fly dye. From my research and discussions the color is consistent and designed specifically for fly tying material and the owner is a fly fisherman.

You should also make sure the temperature of the dye does not get too hot. I believe it is 140 degrees. Too hot and the materials start to react poorly. There is some experimentation on how long to keep the tails in the dye to get the color you want.

Consider getting the book or seeing if it is at the local library. You will be much more informed.

send me a PM if you have specific questions. Glad to help.

Good luck

Thanks for the advice. I will order the book if my tails come through for me.

Never thought of dyeing feathers. I may need a second job now. :o

Dyeing feather is harder in my opion. Especially loose feathers. I have biots are fairly easy though. Fur, just takes some time to soak. Make sure that you presoak with a shot of 409 and ivory dish soap. That way the die will absorb easier. A.K. Best book is really great. The guy loves details.

Randy

With everything being correct, most dyes will only take a few minutes. That 5 to 10 minute range is fine. However, some materials will take longer than others to abosrb the dye, and some dyes take longer than others. Because the materials are wet, they will appear to be darker than they actually are with most dye colors. Bright colors are easier to judge IMO as they will look closer to actual even wet. You just have to make a judgement call when they look close to what you want, and re-dye if it's not. Some will never turn out as expected. The only way to really know if you have the desired color is to dry the material then go from there.

I've worked with dyes for a long time, and have had some materials, especially hair, turn out completely different than what I wanted, but some of my mistakes have been very good colors for me. :)

For the most part I use Veniard and Fly Dye. After a lot of playing around I found on feathers and furs it produces better dye jobs. They produce a very even color over all parts of feathers or hair. Some brands will yield slightly darker tips and lighter butts, webbing and stems, a big problem when dyeing streamer wings. I do use RIT and other brands from time to time but only when it is for something I can't get with Veniard or Fly Dye.

As for dyeing tips.

#1 Sort your material first. I like small dye baths over large. If I can weed out all the junk and have a small bath it makes life better.

#2 Clean material = faster dying and better colors. Take the time to degrease the material. For buck tails this will take some time and multiple baths. I think A.K. Best has a good section in his book on this topic.

#3 Too light is ok, too dark is bad. If you color is too light you can always toss it back in the bath to make it darker. Once t get too dark there is nothing you can do. Take the material out of the bath, rinse, dry a few feathers with a hair dryer, and then toss it back in if you need to. I will do this alot with new material or color till I get used to the time it tends to take.

#4 Do a test run. A small test run is always good with every new dye bath. Even if it just to make sure nothing got in that will distort the color.

Hope this all helps.

Joe Fox

I did a google search for Jaquard, Veniard and Fly Dye and came up with 1 place over sea that sells it. Anyone have a shop name or retail store that sells it.