Fly Tying
caulfield316

Sea trout flies?????

I'm looking for pattern suggestions for Florida (Indian River) Sea Trout. I'm going to tie up a box for my dad for X-mas but I'm a Midwesterner and I have never fished for sea trout. I did some poking around and found that, as usual, clousers are a safe bet but I'm looking for other patterns too. Thanks!

I've never fished for them in FL, but have in the lower Chesapeake Bay & in Delaware Bay. Most any baitfish pattern will work, but they also seem to respond well to attractors. Clousers, deceivers, seaducers, and basic bucktail patterns have all worked for me. Many of the flies I've caught striped bass on have also been good for sea trout.

There is an old pattern that is called a Seatrout Special that I've used with a lot of success too. It's just a bucktail pattern, a little flashabou or krystal flash, with a hackle collar, and sometimes a body of mylar tubing. Some folks even use the glo tubing for low light conditions. About any color you like, both dark & bright. Even two colors of bucktail have been good sometimes. Most of the flies I've used were on size 1/0 or 2/0 hooks, but I've also used down to size 2, and up to size 3/0, and the flies are 3 to 5 inches long. My best attractor patterns have been chartreuse & hot pink, pink & white, pink & yellow, red & white, and red & yellow. Purple & black or purple & brown have been good too. I'm sure other folks will have other colors that have worked!

I would think that many of the baitfish patterns in the pattern data base would work for them. You might want to add some shrimp patterns too.

I've had a lot more success with baitfish patterns than with shrimp patterns, because I don't think shrimp are a large part of their diets up here. It may be different in FL.

Chatreuse and White or Electric Chicken (Pink and Chartreuse) Clousers do the trick - no need to get too clever usually.

Chatreuse and White or Electric Chicken (Pink and Chartreuse) Clousers do the trick - no need to get too clever usually.

Ditto on the electric chicken (never tried chartreuse and white...yet).

I tend to think the best baitfish, crawfish, and shrimp patterns tend to be the simplest. More suggestive ones like the clouser and woolly bugger I think look more like a moving fish or shrimp than super realistic ones that look more like they belong on a cocktail platter. Not to mention they're easy to tie and you can quickly tie a gazillion of them.

I'm looking for pattern suggestions for Florida (Indian River) Sea Trout. I'm going to tie up a box for my dad for X-mas but I'm a Midwesterner and I have never fished for sea trout. I did some poking around and found that, as usual, clousers are a safe bet but I'm looking for other patterns too. Thanks!

HELLO

I USE A CLOUSER PATTERN THAT I THREW TOGETHER. I AM IN FT LAUDERDALE AND I FISH THE INDIAN RIVER 3 TO 4 TIMES A MONTH

AND I HAVE CAUGHT REDFISH AND SEATROUT ON THIS FLY THAT I CALL HOTLIPS.

TRY BEAR POINT PARK JUST NORTH OF THE POWER PLANT AND SOUTH OF THE INLET.

IF YOU AND/OR YOUR DAD COME TO FLORIDA YOU CAN GET IN TOUCH WITH ME AND I CAN GIVE YOU EXACT DIRECTIONS OF SOME GOOD SPOTS.

TIGHT LINES

FRANK

post-18883-1230517336_thumb.jpg

Edited by reef surveyor

When you come down call 'em "Specks" because everyone else will.

An effective and VERY easy pattern is a #4 Mustad 34011 with a pair of bead chain silver eyes and 10-12 strands of 3" krystal flash in pearl. Period the end. It looks too simple to be effective, but looks are really deceiving in this instance.

The only problem is that every 15 or so casts you will want to check that the krystal flash has not twisted into a single braid.

Have fun.

I was fishing for snook & tarpon and kept catching sea trout. I was using a white e.p. fiber type streamer with a little pearl krystal flash and dome eyes. Simple but very effective. Couldn't keep the sea trout off the hook!

Joelst

What a great offer from Frank in FLorida! Fly guys are the best!!!!

Some foxhair streamers would be working fine just mix some diffrent colors and sizes maybee some on tubes as well.

HELLO

I USE A CLOUSER PATTERN THAT I THREW TOGETHER. I AM IN FT LAUDERDALE AND I FISH THE INDIAN RIVER 3 TO 4 TIMES A MONTH

AND I HAVE CAUGHT REDFISH AND SEATROUT ON THIS FLY THAT I CALL HOTLIPS.

TRY BEAR POINT PARK JUST NORTH OF THE POWER PLANT AND SOUTH OF THE INLET.

IF YOU AND/OR YOUR DAD COME TO FLORIDA YOU CAN GET IN TOUCH WITH ME AND I CAN GIVE YOU EXACT DIRECTIONS OF SOME GOOD SPOTS.

TIGHT LINES

FRANK

Frank, that's a nice looking fly. I like the blending of the crystal chenille.

I'm also in the Ft. Lauderdale area. Bear Point is a nice area and you can wade around there (there are some soft spots though). Olive colored streamers also can be productive.

Frank, shoot me a PM and maybe we can get together for some fishing.

Ken

ps - just looked at original dates on this thread. oh well, somebody will read right? :)