Fly Tying
day5

Ice Flies

OK so my brothers are all avid Ice Fishermen. Im planning on joining them here and there to see how I like it. SO far all I know is you either stand on the Ice shivering your timbers or you sit in a shanty mixing flavors of schnapps to see what combos you can make. (rootbeer and apple = carmel apple) So with the family gift game coming up I decided to show the boys how I roll. So I tied these lill bad boys up. Its a mix of tungsten and brass they nymphs are 14s and 16s.

post-2608-1229597515_thumb.jpg

post-2608-1229597648_thumb.jpg

post-2608-1229597725_thumb.jpg

post-2608-1229597797_thumb.jpg

Nice flies!

So, are those pins? It looks like you have the bead on a pin, then the pin tied to the jig hook. Is that correct? Nice idea!

Nice flies!

So, are those pins? It looks like you have the bead on a pin, then the pin tied to the jig hook. Is that correct? Nice idea!

nice very nice,,,,,,how did you get that bead on there?

shane :headbang:

Sweet tying and what a great gift it makes D5. i love the jig on the theerd pic. thats the best looking jig i ever seen. i used to do winter fishing when i was a kid. brings alot of memorys back.

C

Don't forget to beg, borrrow or steal a vexilar or marcum fishfinder for use when Ice fishing. It will improve your catch rate 10 fold or more. Hopefully your brothers are all younger and in good shape so that they can drill the holes through the ice for you . :lol:

Move from hole to hole and fish only when you see fish on the fishfinder. If not fish, move to a different hole.

Roy

That's a nice mixture.You should have some good luck with those.You should tie up a steelhead jig on a #6-8 jig hook with some rubber legs for action.Have a good time and be safe.

It is 30 lb mono melted. Then I thread the bead on and tie it on. I want to also try this type of fly under an indy. I once read an article in fly tyer (I think?) showing this concept.

Very nice Day 5 . The one we use in Kamloops are similiar to the 3rd pic. They use a yellow feather for the tail Yellow matching chenille and a yellow small jig head. very simple but effective fly for the brookies.

Good Day,

Good stuff Matt! Don't forget more "traditional" flies, ie. bead head waxies. Black bead head and tan or cream latex or rubber sheeting for the body on a curved caddis hook. Quick, easy and effective, not just on the ice, but for steelies too. Also, sometimes one can find these "jig hooks" at fly shops believe it or not. Or just your regular fishing shop.

Steelie

Good Day,

Good stuff Matt! Don't forget more "traditional" flies, ie. bead head waxies. Black bead head and tan or cream latex or rubber sheeting for the body on a curved caddis hook. Quick, easy and effective, not just on the ice, but for steelies too. Also, sometimes one can find these "jig hooks" at fly shops believe it or not. Or just your regular fishing shop.

Steelie

Ive been selling sage8wts waxie on my site for years it is a great crane fly larva pattern

Nice Ice Flies Day5! I bet perch around here would love um. Let us know if you have any luck with them!

vtflyhack

ps Don't forget to tie up some maggots

Nice flies. I would love to try them on a spinner in the stream. Might be a little hard to dead drift.