Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
JayMorr

Camera Bags

Guys, what model of camera bags do you prefer? Do you go with more of a backpack or do you use a shoulder bag? I am looking for something that will hold my camera body with a lens possibly attached with plenty of room to carry a few more mid sized lens's. Any thoughts or reviews on some of the ones you have used?

I know my folks picked up a bag (Lowpro) for me this holiday season but I am not sure which model. It was mentioned in passing and that they have receipts for me if I need to take it back.

Your thoughts are always appreciated.

Cheers~

Lowe's products are really, really good. I have the Mini Trekker and Photo Trekker backpack-style cases, and the LowePro Commercial AW over-the-shoulder case.

Of the three, I like the Mini Trekker best because it prevents me from carrying too much stuff. :rolleyes:

John

Hi Jay

Mine is a backpack style. I have some high country lakes I plan to get to this summer :) Some really pretty country. I need to pack camera and have enough room for lens, food and flies. I think you seen it at the SLC show. I have another travel hard case for all of it for other types of trips. Thats my two cents. If you are interested in exact styles and names let me know. I really like my set up.

It's about accability. The backpack has accability to everything in there at one time because most of them, the top zips all the way open, and you lay it flat and there's all your lenses, filters, batteries and such. But it's on your back, and a bit heavier because you'll have more crap in there. They're good for going somewhere, laying them out and opening them up in front of you. The over the shoulder bags that you usually see pros at sporting events use are good because the stuff is right in front of you, or to your side. Not as easily accessed, but if you're not going to be swapping lenses every five minutes, or if you have mulitple cameras where you can stash them each in there and pull out the one you need, then the shoulder bag is better. Alot of it comes down to preference. I've got one of each and use them at different times.

I am interested to see what you decide Jay. I have been using a refitted Sage gear bag for several years, does a fine job, but something a little lighter would be appreicated.

Hi Jay,

I use a Cabela's small-padded duffle bag and it serves me fairly well because it has lots of pockets. It also has more than enough room for 2 camera bodies and 4 lenses along with "stuff" to support that bunch of "glass 'n tin." Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

I use the Tamarac Expedition 5 to carry a lot of my camera gear when traveling. I put in my cleaning kit, back-up batteries, a couple of lenses and other assorted crap. I usually don't carry it though when I am out stomping around and shooting. It stays behind for the most part. I used to have a vest that was made for photographers but I wore it out. Looking to replace it I decided to go with your standard ole vest most fly fishermen use. It is about the same other than the name and didn't cost as much. Probably more durable as well? It has plenty of pockets and pouches, most that I can get to easily and is hard to beat for convenience while actually out and about among the critters. When I get back to the car I just transfer the lenses and stuff back to the camera bag as it offers more protection when traveling.

It is amazing how much stuff will fit in one of those vests, and with the bigger lenses in their own cases there are plenty of places to tie them on for a while.

Realit is Jay. No 1 bag wil do all your looking for. Decide what features you want, then go from there. I used a Lowpro mini trakker for awhile and while its ok for light duty, put enough in it (capacity) and its ergonomics will make you pay if its a long day, nor is it large enough for me when I do need to go loaded for bear.

So as my main pack which I pack depending on the outing is a Lowepre Vertex 300.

Lots of space to cram all my lenses, TC, Tubes, Flash, and so much more. When on assigment and I dont really know what Im ging to use I pack it to the brim. Its a beast at that point and well over 40 pounds, with tripod and head Im likekly 50. But Ive also hiked through a marsh at 4:30am 2 miles (4 roundtrip after 7 hrs) with it. Its designed to disribute the weight, and thats a godsend. Hhas tans of padding for shock absorbtion, water resistant zippers and a rain coat. Its been in pouring rain a few times and nary a drop inside. The "notebook" compartment I use for loose paper,plastic bags, my flash brackets and/or otehr paraphenalia

http://products.lowepro.com/product/Vertex...-AW,2074,16.htm

For lighter duty, when I may only want a couple lenses, spare batt, etc, te odd accessory Im accumulating Think Tank modules.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_products.html

Hi Jay

Mine is a backpack style. I have some high country lakes I plan to get to this summer :) Some really pretty country. I need to pack camera and have enough room for lens, food and flies. I think you seen it at the SLC show. I have another travel hard case for all of it for other types of trips. Thats my two cents. If you are interested in exact styles and names let me know. I really like my set up.

I took a look at mine and it's a Lowepro Rover

http://products.lowepro.com/product/Rover-...-AW,2025,14.htm

Like Wulff was saying. It will pack alot of stuff :)

Great topic Jay! I've used a few different packs for winter sports but I never can find the right fit/comfort/size for fishing. My winter packs are not really efficient enough for lugging around on my extended fishing jaunts. Currently I'm using a W&J pack - camera gear into padded bags and stuffed into h20proof bags. I like Pelican boxes for boating trips.

I agree with Wulff, 1 bag doesn't rule them all. I have had a few Lowpro packs in the past, great packs, but they are always so wide that it hinders my movement in winter sports - snowboarding. Never used it for fishing, perhaps I should.

Currently use for winter sports

Teneba --> http://www.tenba.com/c-3-backpacks.as

Burton Zoom -->http://www.burton.com/Gear/Default.aspx#/g...0038/211329036/

Mountainsmith packs -->http://www.mountainsmith.com/products.asp?...p;categoryId=13

FWIW - Burton and Dakine are similar and small - 1800cu/30L.... MarkII and 70-200 don't fit.

I'm curious to what you go with, please post your result.

Lowepro Nature Treker.

Carries 2 bodies, 5 lenses, flash and chargers plus filters etc.

Due to lenses, my bag currently weights about 40 lbs so a backpack is the only real option.

So I am now rockin' a Lowepro Magnum AW bag! So my folks come over after a great Christmas Eve dinner at "The Roof" here in SLC, UT and say they have a few gifts for us.

The kids open their stuff and are totally spoiled as usual. I was really stoked to watch them have a great time. When I think everything is done my parents hand me over a box.....much to my surprise it was a new camera bag and a really nice one too! I have just about everything in it. I am really excited. The folks definitely went overboard on the fam this year.

Great Christmas gift and I have enjoyed the time off with the kids!

FUN...

http://products.lowepro.com/product/Magnum-AW,1959,20.htm