Fly Tying
Markie Boy

Fly Tying Desks

I want to buy a fly tying desk but do not want to spend $1,800+ on the ones I see online and at the shows. Does anyone have one that is far more affordable? Everyone, please post photos of yours. Thanks - Markie Boy

My grandpa made mine from oak from our property. I designed it, he made it.

PB150023.jpg

This one I made myself from cedar from the lumber yard. A drill, few screws, and I made it in my living room for less than $200-

P7070003-1.jpg

Another good place to look is antique stores. You don't need to get a roll-top desk, as they tend to be a bit pricey, but you can find all kinds of cool old tables and desks in there that you can refinish and make into very nice tables for $200-$600 or so. But yeah, most "fly tying tables" you see sold as such are overpriced IMO.

Welcome to the site.

Hey Markie Boy, Make sure your desk is at the proper height, if you are bent over, your back will get tired and tying won't be as fun. I made my own tying board in a adult after school wood shop class. And bought a metal table at a discount office supply store, I think I spent $75 on the table and about $50 to make my board, from white oak and walnut. The board only took 3 nights of shop class. Don't neglect your chair either, an uncormfortable one is bad on your back.

Cheers, Futzer.

My honest opinion is to find a flat table (card table), or a good used desk.its easy to move things around if its not set the way you want it ( on an expensive desk that is permanent), and your not spending a fortune on it. some plastic organizers from walmart, along with the desk, or card table and your set.

Make sure your desk is at the proper height, if you are bent over, your back will get tired and tying won't be as fun.

Most definite on the height and seating. Also, don't overlook lighting. An area where a lamp base may go or a spot to clamp one on.

Make sure your desk is at the proper height, if you are bent over, your back will get tired and tying won't be as fun.

Most definite on the height and seating. Also, don't overlook lighting. An area where a lamp base may go or a spot to clamp one on.

Yessir, Cencal. Great point. Futzer.

Be sure to think about a decent chair too. I got a nice task chair that is adjustable from staples office supply for a decent price. For some reason I change the height depending on the style fly, though I am odd.

my desk is from Ikea, assembling it was a good exercise in patience due to the lack of directions.

i went to my local unpainted furniture store and got a sofa table as shonw below and stained it myself

1unfinishedfurniture_2029_33015429.gif

I use a computer desk; a cheapie with a single shelf that I picked up for $10 at a garage sale. Then I added a couple of small shelves under the desk shelf. I also have a 2 drawer file cabinet at each end. I keep a lot of materials (hackle, synthetics, flat stuff like that) in 2 oak drawing cabinets that I got from the drafting dept at work. I also use a rolling office "task" chair, which I adjust the height of often when I'm tying for long periods of time.

This is my tying area. The bench is an IKEA dresser/hutch that I got from my sister who no longer wanted it. I set the area up earlier this year so the bench isn't as clean now. Plus I have carpet that cover the entire area now, and a shelf on the end wall where I put my rods and hang my waders, and I have lots of fishing related stickers all over the bench now.

My advice, you don't need to spend a lot, find a piece of good used furniture from someone, use craigslist or talk to your friend's and family, a lot of people have old furniture they no are longer using and would probably love to get it out of their home.

The only things I bought other than the tying stuff, were the two lamps, everything else I either already had or was given.

Good luck!

Brian

post-12875-1230571887_thumb.jpg

post-12875-1230571902_thumb.jpg

Well guys,

I got pretty lucky... the other day I was looking on Craigslist and came across a pretty nice roll top desk for $50.00.

I now have a nice fly tying desk with plenty of storage. Merry Christmas indeed.

Ren

PS The best to all in the New Year!!!!

Here is a pic from when I made it. I need some pic of it messed up. I made it out of cherry.

post-11072-1230755299_thumb.jpg

post-11072-1230755386_thumb.jpg

Mine is an old desk of my mothers. I travel allot and do shows plus I take all my gear whenever I go camping for more than one day, because it is always that fly you only have ONE of that catches all the fish.

Anyway, here is my set-up:

IMG_02631.jpg

IMG_0265.jpg

IMG_02661.jpg

IMG_0268.jpg

IMG_0269.jpg

IMG_0270.jpg

IMG_0271.jpg