Fly Tying
Markie Boy

Fly Tying Desks

thanks for that link bruce, I got a few ideas from there and have been thinking about getting a desk setup so I don't have to keep setting up and taking down all my stuff on a card table

Hey Joni, what's the round rack with the round plastic compartments used for? Is that for hooks or finished flies. I see one says 16 scud.

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy, yes it is. I have streamers on the top, then scuds & 200R's, then dries then nymphs Sooooo much easier, but I do stick with one style of hook for each. I prefer longer hooks.

Shop around a bit - I got this solid oak roll-top for $20 off of Craigslist. It came with the computer type desk under it, which is kind of cheap laminated particle board, so I don't have any hesitation drilling and cutting it up to suit tying flies. Best part is, when I'm not tying, I leave everyting on the desk, ready to go and just shut the top. It keeps everybody happy, my wife doesn't 'have to look at that mess' and I don't have feathers blowing all over the place, and hooks in the carpet. I can sit down and tie for 5 or 10 minutes at a time if I want, and not have to get stuff out and put it away before and after.

post-1938-1232229242_thumb.jpg

I "inherited" a desk from my grandfather, just a standard office desk. I thought that the top was a bit small so I added some space and a nice stone top. Before I started using this I had a big office desk that I got from a used furniture/thrift store for $5. It worked great. Probably more important to me is the pegboard background - so I can see where all my stuff is at a glance.

emptyflytyingdesk.jpg

tyingdesk2-1.jpg

So Mark, the man cave is were you developed your electric glo and bleeding clouser? Those are 2 patterns that are kickin!

Thank you!

That is where it all happens. The rest of the space is for teaching class.

I "inherited" a desk from my grandfather, just a standard office desk. I thought that the top was a bit small so I added some space and a nice stone top. Before I started using this I had a big office desk that I got from a used furniture/thrift store for $5. It worked great. Probably more important to me is the pegboard background - so I can see where all my stuff is at a glance.

emptyflytyingdesk.jpg

tyingdesk2-1.jpg

I take it the rifles are to protect your materials...lol... :P

emptyflytyingdesk.jpg

tyingdesk2-1.jpg

I take it the rifles are to protect your materials...lol... :P

I was wondering the same thing. :lol: I guess ya never know if a Peacock will be back for his tail feathers. ;)

Here's a look at my desk. There's not much in the way of materials yet, that'll come as I work on more flies.

FlyTyingDesk.jpg

I made the table out of scrap wood

Here's a look at my desk. There's not much in the way of materials yet, that'll come as I work on more flies.

FlyTyingDesk.jpg

your poor fish. i think you need to change the water

FlyTyingDesk.jpg

your poor fish. i think you need to change the water

Nah, The errors of buying a plastic bowl. I'll be at the Pet shop Friday, buying food for my other critters, so I think a new bowl is in order as well.