Fly Tying
mcfluffchucker

show us your bench

recently made a tyiing bench out of an old TV cabinet. Added a light, a tool area, and some shelving. Cost about $75.

DSC_0006.jpg

of course it will never look that clean again, but the wife likes that it closes up to this in a flash...

DSC_0007.jpg

My wife bought me a very nice Oasis "Spinner" I am thinking of getting rid of it and just making one myself any thoughts?

:blink:

My wife bought me a very nice Oasis "Spinner" I am thinking of getting rid of it and just making one myself any thoughts?

:blink:

Yeah! Here's a though: if you're just getting rid of it, float it to a kid whose mom can't even walk into her son's room without stepping on a hook! :baby: :j_k:

Awesome ideas in this thread. I am new to tying. I use a couple of 2x4's drilled out for tools and bobbins. Nothing photo worthy. I am in the basement spreadout on an old kitchen table and a kids desk (5 bucks at the thrift shop) with a tilted drawing top that also sits flat. It is like one of those old school desks - you can open it up and stuff things in it. So I keep all of the materials strewn about on the old kitchen table and then tie on the kids desk on top of a breakfast in bed tray I stole from my wife. She got that at Marshall's.

I like being spread out and having open space. I imagine one day I may be able to tie in a neat little space but for now, I am all over. I try to get my daughter to help and to design a few bugs - so having the stuff out and all over seems to help our creative process. I have a grab bag I got at the Somerville NJ show and I don't know what half the stuff is - she will say, Daddy, put this on that bug, so I do. It makes for great fun.

We did just make a Bass shaped fly holder. The base is fish shaped, it is then drilled to hold dowels on the perimeter that have alligator clips on top for holding the hooks.

his a couple that I have built.

PICT0015-2.jpg

I think this is kinda funny. I built this several years ago for our holiday club auction

empt%20station.jpg

I'm think Gandy and I stole from the same guy.

Finnaly got this cleaned up and organized. Sorry the desk never looks any better than this. Most of this storage area came with the house. The total bench is over 12 feet. I built the slide out desk area. The storage bins are full of materials. First picture is the left side storage. The gray boxes are storage for flies. The rest is materials. The desk is next, then storage under the desk. The right side storage area for materials. The last picture is some of my dubbing boxes. The boxes with 18 compartments were less than 2.25 each, and the bigger boxes were under 5.00 at my local tackle shop. The magazine rack. Any one need any back issues of Fly Fisherman? Mine go back to the 1980s. You pay shipping and they are yours.

just looked through this entire thread....... I like dub!!!!! this dude has soo much dub!!!!

i am thinking about building a fly tying desk thing... not to happy with the one i have now...

Heres mine, Designed it myself, two tying stations

SN852541.jpg

SN852540.jpg

SN852539.jpg

VERY NICE! :headbang:

Hey, is that a little drink cooler under the desk or what?

Ive upgraded recently, i built it all by myself. There is two work stations one where i build models and the other where i tie flies. Dont mind the pink bag, its where i stash my candy

post-16409-1266767095_thumb.jpg

post-16409-1266767128_thumb.jpg