Fly Tying
mcfluffchucker

show us your bench

I'm none too neat. I made the bench from 200 year old heartpine that I had used as flooring in one of my homes.

post-14182-1230753287_thumb.jpg

Mine is an old desk of my mothers. I travel allot and do shows plus I take all my gear whenever I go camping for more than one day, because it is always that fly you only have ONE of that catches all the fish.

Anyway, here is my set-up:

IMG_02631.jpg

IMG_0265.jpg

IMG_02661.jpg

IMG_0268.jpg

IMG_0269.jpg

IMG_0270.jpg

IMG_0271.jpg

Spike , I really like your cabinet setup. I have been trying to gesign something along those lines, something that doesn't look out of place in the living room when not in use,,,,,,,,,,,,,,B,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

That’s nice work scud. One of these days I’ll have enough guts to try my hand at making something with tapered legs. I’m working with some cherry for the first time right now (fly boxes, go figure). I love the way the grain pops on cherry when it’s finished. It really make all the sanding worth while.

Drath, tapered legs are easy. I just set the radial arm saw at an angle, which is trial and error depending on thickness. Set a square up so the leg stays square to the blade and slowly pull it through. It takes alot of sanding to get it nice since it's so hard. The grain is really nice. I used clear waterbased poly on it so it doesn't yellow. I'm making a rack to put on the wall above the desk to put the good fly rods on.

Jeremy

Just my 2 cents regarding tapered legs - much easier and safer on a table saw; you can build your own jig or buy one to make tapered legs. Really quite simple. I just don't like ripping on a radial arm saw. I'm a cabinet maker by profession. But, of course, just like tying a certain fly, there are many ways to get to the end product. Hope we didn't momentarily hijack the thread.

I designedd it, my grandfather built it from quartersawn oak from our property.

P7270002.jpg

PB150023.jpg

WOW!

KB, thats not a bench, thats a miniature fly shop. Very nice sir! :bugeyes:

Joni......

i really like that desk!!!!!!!!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: i travel alot with my family so when im not fishn' im tying!!!!!!!!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: i need to get something good to transport my stuffs in...

mine is a regular desk i use the drawers to keep materials and keep my tools here

post-18259-1230865897_thumb.jpg

Well this is were it all happens for me.

I have had some additions and have done some cleaning up, not that anyone could tell, or so "She whom must be obeyed" has said.....

Enjoy...

and yes I am damn spoiled, this treasure trove has been collected over 25 + years...

IMGP0003.jpg

IMGP0004.jpg

IMGP0005.jpg

Just noticed that you can't see a lot of what is in the Cabinets, old reals, antiques or what is above the ledge antique Rods etc.....

That is OK, I will keep them for another post..

Fairwxflyfish,

Wow I thought that mine was bad, and I was spoiled! That makes me weak in the knees, then it brought a tear to my eye, then I thought about all the money invested and I threw up in my mouth a little; finally I thought I should ask.............. would you like to adopt a son?????

Dont hate me beacuse I'm beautiful :D Sorry for the burry in a few pics....didnt know the flash wasnt on. Its 12'x40' with full surround sound and video lol

room001.jpg

room002.jpg

room005.jpg

room4.jpg

roll.jpg

I'm only half way organized. Here is my little table and that big tool box is stuffed with all my fur and feathers. So, if I need that black saddle, I just dig around for 45 minutes. Perfect.post-18958-1230881722_thumb.jpg

Well this is were it all happens for me.

I have had some additions and have done some cleaning up, not that anyone could tell, or so "She whom must be obeyed" has said.....

Enjoy...

and yes I am damn spoiled, this treasure trove has been collected over 25 + years...

IMGP0003.jpg

IMGP0004.jpg

IMGP0005.jpg

Just noticed that you can't see a lot of what is in the Cabinets, old reals, antiques or what is above the ledge antique Rods etc.....

That is OK, I will keep them for another post..

That's really nice. I have to ask, Where did you get those wood drawer units? I would really like to get one of those. I tie in my livingroom and try to keep thing neat looking. Thanks

Jeremy

Fairwxflyfish,

Wow I thought that mine was bad, and I was spoiled! That makes me weak in the knees, then it brought a tear to my eye, then I thought about all the money invested and I threw up in my mouth a little; finally I thought I should ask.............. would you like to adopt a son?????

Sorry Man I have three sons all in their 20s.

I am in the middle of my busy time tying, and our season here only ends because the temps are too cold so I have to take every moment I can to tie..cause if a Chinook hits I am out on the river again...