Fly Tying
mcfluffchucker

show us your bench

Ok Driftless, nice stations, only one question. Where is it that you actually tie? Those stations are entirely too tidy for me. Of course. mine are an absolute mess most of the time.

Oh my gosh... I would be too embarassed to show any images of mine. But I could describe it. :P

Imagine if you will that some Nascar driver ran a souped up ride on lawnmower over a bunch of chickens and fur bearing animals, piled all the stuff on top of a grenade laying on a desk, then pulled the pin on the grenade and ran away.

Then the fly tying fairy came and magically sprinkled hooks and tinsel and fly tying tools randomly across the wreckage.

It was actually the same day we installed the cabinets so everything had to be tidy, but other than that its a complete mess, we have handles and the fridge is full of booze. But i see where your coming form this was my first desk, major upgradeSN850132.jpg

its still clean but it was cleaned up for the photo as well.

Nice station driftless, but I am curious, what kind of vise is that on the left?

Sweet set up Driftless, you got me jealous :wub:

I'm guessing the vise on the left is from a tying tool kit that can be found at Cabelas. I had one years back, small and easy to travel with. Could be wrong though.

A fews pics of my new rod building area and tying bench.

I still need to install my rod dryer, rod holders and material bins.

Oh and the kegorator :D

483451124_1695196513_0.jpg

483451206_1695196836_0.jpg

Alot of you may know I do quite a bit of tying but you may not know this,, I'm alttle disorganized (slob) LOL, so here is a pan, of sorts, and yes, sometimes it takes alittle time to find something on the desk! Today is one of those great tying days , for your amusement

Bruce

post-4571-1263658329_thumb.jpg

post-4571-1263658343_thumb.jpg

post-4571-1263658358_thumb.jpg

post-4571-1263658370_thumb.jpg

Alot of you may know I do quite a bit of tying but you may not know this,, I'm alttle disorganized (slob) LOL, so here is a pan, of sorts, and yes, sometimes it takes alittle time to find something on the desk! Today is one of those great tying days , for your amusement

Bruce

Is the bird a pet or stuffed and used for flies?

I've only been tying for four or five months and just completed my first fly tying bench.

- Charlie

post-24225-1263753963_thumb.jpg

Bruce, I looked at yours and my first thought was "that dude has a room, sweet." Then I thought "that dude has a few nice looking vises." Then, after a closer investigation, I thought "wow, that dude watches some weird stuff on tv"

:hyst:

gallery4b5364ab645bf.jpg

post-6177-1263756811_thumb.jpg

Not sure if it's been linked in the first 5/6 pages of this thread, but check out http://www.guysfliesandpies.com/desks.htm for a bunch of desks. Great for checking out if you need inspiration for your next desk. It hasn't been updated in a while, but there are some real nice ones on there still.

Nice station driftless, but I am curious, what kind of vise is that on the left?

Sweet set up Driftless, you got me jealous :wub:

I'm guessing the vise on the left is from a tying tool kit that can be found at Cabelas. I had one years back, small and easy to travel with. Could be wrong though.

Old Cabelas vise is right it was my first one along with that desk it was sitting on, I have upgraded on both since then but it was great to start out with

I built this one using some spare wood lying around the house. It's pretty simple and I consider it a prototype. I still need to bore some holes for wax, cement and other larger items, plus replace the wood dowels with brass tubes. I really enjoy the felt my girlfriend glued on the bottom and the padded vinyl desk cover.

This thread gave me some excellent ideas. Thanks!

post-24444-1264889754_thumb.jpg

Very nice station Jarmy.

Very similar to one I have made but you have more holes for tools and I wish I would have drilled more. Of course I still can but then I would have to clean up. :blink:

I used walnut, white oak and 2x4s for both the desk and station. The walnut was $10 at auction for 6 boards 8" by 1" by 12 feet. It was an auction at an old farm. The rest of the materials including the tung oil finish was under $15. Not including the computer, tray and chair.

Tim

post-17692-1264891686_thumb.jpg

post-17692-1264891720_thumb.jpg

post-17692-1264891744_thumb.jpg