Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
supaflygsr

got stuck

Saw Jens "naked" fly and thought of an idea for my colored hooks. Use the hook color for the body!! Ran into two problems

1. How to tie the tag off clean without showing the thread wraps

2. Need to figure out a new material for the wing...to steep of a taper on the head to really ad anything else

maybe one of you guys could run with the idea!!!

015-1.jpg

As for the tag...you could use the rod builder's approach to hiding the thread wraps. Tie in tail with thread, tie off thread. And attach tag (metallic thread) like you were wrapping a guide on a rod.

As for the wing...no ideas yet.

By the way, great looking fly and great idea.

Orange Caddis

2. Need to figure out a new material for the wing...to steep of a taper on the head to really ad anything else

015-1.jpg

You could try the wing "bump" ty in from a saltwater high blonde. Lots of synthetics wings would work well. It looks big in the pick. What size is that? the syncs seems to look better on larger patterns, but even bucktail on smaller patterns would work with that tie in method. Search "high blonde fly" and you can get instructions, but here are few pics of a few blondes I did. :rolleyes: three months tying at this time as I just got my new favorite xmas present ever,my first vise.

post-18764-1230173034_thumb.jpg post-18764-1230173070_thumb.jpg post-18764-1230173172_thumb.jpg

Saw Jens "naked" fly and thought of an idea for my colored hooks. Use the hook color for the body!! Ran into two problems

1. How to tie the tag off clean without showing the thread wraps

maybe one of you guys could run with the idea!!!

015-1.jpg

Hi

Nice to know that I inspired you. Thanks. Anyway there is no need to think about tip, tag and tail. It is the wing build up that is important for making the fly move or swim if you like.

One of the most famous Atlantic salmon flies in Scandinavia in the early 1980 was a fly called "Black Shank" envented by the Danish salmon fly fisher and fly tyer Jan Grünwald.

This fly as good as it is simple.

Take a look

post-3635-1230302634_thumb.jpg

Regards

Jens