Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
day5

Help with Congo/ep bunker style minnow

I use this concept on one of my Perch patterns now but only on the bottom side of the fly. And I do not use EP/Congo hair. So here is a Congo hair bunker style (I think that is what you call it?) streamer. Id like some help if I made any mistakes. Id like to tie these on copper tubes for bass this year. But I thought id ask for opinions on how I'm doing with it. Did I use to much Congo?

Never mind the color combo I just wanted to see how the blue looked on the grey. I think the fish will like it more then the fisherman.

post-2608-1230402126_thumb.jpg

post-2608-1230402305_thumb.jpg

post-2608-1230402381_thumb.jpg

post-2608-1230402517_thumb.jpg

Nice tie. check who is posting under saltwater patterns as there should be someone familiar with pulisi type flys. I tie saltwater but have only tied hair wings and limited skok wings. Here is a bunker blonde I did when I just started tying.

post-18764-1230407522_thumb.jpg

Well I see its been posted for awhile and no responses. It looks good and it doesn't appear to be over dressed, and if it tracks(fishes) OK. I'd say it is about perfect. It's been quite some time since I tied any so I can't give you any ideas on how to improve. I took a class from Mike Martineck on tieing something similar but I couldn't can it to produce. Let us know how it fishes

I think it looks good - maybe a touch on the heavy side. If you will be tying on a heavy tube this probably won't be an issue. However if you want to cast a big fly on lighter lines than it becomes more of a consideration. You can get around this with selective thinning of the fly.

This EP fly has decent thickness viewed from the bottom

post-4245-1230415320_thumb.jpg

But it has had significant thinning of the wing which allows it to be thrown with a very light line

post-4245-1230415348_thumb.jpg

Another thing you may want to consider if you are mixing different brands of fibers in the fly - density and flex of the fibers. I learned this by accident. Softer/more flexible fibers need to go on first or farther towards the back. If not you will get them wrapping around to the sides of the stiffer stuff. Here's an exagerated example with EP wing and an epoxy head. I had added the bright pink as an accent, but since it was (slightly) finer than the remainder of the wing, it would take the path of least resistance when stripped through the water - wrapping around the stiffer fibers.

post-4245-1230415573_thumb.jpg

Hi Matt, Nice, I would personally lighten up the tail as viewed from above a little. As long as it tracks right in the water, I would call it a winner.

Cheers Futzer

I've pretty much dropped EP in favor of some other materials I've found easier to work with, but I build my baitfish pretty much the same way. If you use too much material, you'll have problems casting the fly. Not because it's too heavy, but because t won't shed water the way a more sparse pattern would. It looks good to me, but you'll know on your second cast if you over did it. Here's an "EP" that I tied with Steve Farrar FB, I can cast these with a 7wt. Slinky fiber works well too.

IMG_01231.jpg

Are you throwing these flies on a sink-tip?