Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Old Hat

A Winter Stone

Wow, I thought those Eastern Oregon fish were a conservative bunch, shows what I know... :)

Michael

The photo really shows the purple. On a darker overcast day the purple is more of a highlight to the fly. But, as with most flymphs the design is around the combination of colors not so much each color. The purple and rust portrays more of the iridescense of the black casing of the little winter stones. The trick is to fish it so the fish do get a real close look at it, then it becomes more of an attractor. I like to grease it and jump it around the bank water where you see the stones fluttering about or sink it in some fast bank water as a drowned stone where it is really deadly. That's the theory anyway. I always like to add a little purple to my black flies. This was a favorite pattern of mine on the middle Deschutes in winter.

Definitely a tasty looking steelhead morsel.

I've never gone after steel with it, but in larger sizes I'm sure it would work. These are small stones normally in sizes 10-14.

It almost looks like a "flymph" pattern, by the way the hackle is wrapped. Nice work Carl.

That is basically what I had in mind when I first came up with it. There isn't a fly design (IMO) more simple, durable, and productive than a flymph pattern.

I like it. Given that every trout I've taken in the last two months has been on a snipe & purple, your fly would have to work around here.

Bob

Yes, I think purple is a very productive cold water, winter color independent of the insect color. Don't know why though.