Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
monkey93

panfish 911

If any one has a few fly patterns for panfish they are willing to share along with a list of materials to make them that would be appreciated.

some really nice patterns listed here in the fly pattern database, panfish category, and also here Warm Water Flies some great flies and well documented on materials and instructions.

Mike

some really nice patterns listed here in the fly pattern database, panfish category, and also here Warm Water Flies some great flies and well documented on materials and instructions.

Mike

thanks i will check into that website any tips on the spiining for the heads

Mike

thanks i will check into that website

any tips on the spiining for the heads

Don't lay down a layer of thread where you are going to be spinning the deer hair. It prevents it from spinning smoothly.

Here's a decent video showing how to spin deer hair.

Mike

thanks i will check into that website

any tips on the spiining for the heads

Don't lay down a layer of thread where you are going to be spinning the deer hair. It prevents it from spinning smoothly.

thanks for the link i havn't had much luck spinning and i am kinda new to the whole fly tying thing but ill keep working on it, hopefully getting better

I found that a little clouser minnow on a 10, 12, 14 streamer hook works real good arround here..

Here are some videos to help you..

[TRANSLATED] Making Clouser Minnows for Fly Fishing : Tools & Supplies Needed to Make a Clouser ...

theses are Bob Clouser showing you how to ty them..

Clouser Minnow Video 1

Clouser Minnow Video 2

Hope that helps..

Chance

Got to http://flyanglersonline.com/ and click on "Features"

Then click on Bob Boese

Then read the current article and at the bottom click on "Previous Articles"

Several very easy to tie and very effective panfish catching patterns are explained in those articles.

You could also look up the Black Boudreaux in this sites pattern database. If that is not the perfect warmwater fly, it's awfully close.

It's all about having fun catching fish.

Enjoy.

You can't go wrong with simple nymphs, like Hare's Ears, Zug Bugs, Scuds, also Trout Dry Flies work well, and don't forget to carry some Wolly Worms and small Wolly Buggers. But just search "Panfish" in the pattern database :P .

yep,

i throw the classic trout flys at panfish here in my state. obviously stocked ponds are a gimme,

i have had some success with these on high pressure areas..................and places out in the middle of nowhere.

copper johns when the water temperature is hot and there not poppin' the topwater.

ive caught them on natural rivers with a Partrige Yellow and Peacock too.

now if i can just figure out the smallies in the rivers...........

camoham

yep,

i throw the classic trout flys at panfish here in my state. obviously stocked ponds are a gimme,

i have had some success with these on high pressure areas..................and places out in the middle of nowhere.

copper johns when the water temperature is hot and there not poppin' the topwater.

ive caught them on natural rivers with a Partrige Yellow and Peacock too.

now if i can just figure out the smallies in the rivers...........

camoham

Warm water species are always harder to catch in rivers <_< . Even panfish :P .

I suggest the turks tarantula or billys bluegill spider (the bluegill spider is in the database)

Turks Tarantula

Thread: black or brown 6/0

Hook: 6-12 longshank

Tail: golden pheasant tippets

Body: tawny or olive dubbing (hint: synthetic dubbing makes the fly float for longer)

Wing: white calf tail

over wing: natural deer hair

head: tightly spun deer hair trimmed in a sneaky-pete cone shape

Legs: white rubber strands (two)

hope this helps!

post-17709-1230593399_thumb.jpg

post-17709-1230593422_thumb.jpg

You can't go wrong with simple nymphs, like Hare's Ears, Zug Bugs, Scuds, also Trout Dry Flies work well, and don't forget to carry some Wolly Worms and small Wolly Buggers. But just search "Panfish" in the pattern database :P .

I would agree completely. I have had my best success for bluegill with caddis patterns. Though they loved drys like a Royal Wulff, and Yellow Humpy, they will shred floss bodied patterns quickly. Simple patterns like a caddis larva, were the best all around flies. They are simple to tie, and last better than other patterns. Another pattern I have had success with is the Yellow Wooley worm.

perhaps a separate thread, or a review of existing threads, would be useful to someone looking to understand deer hair spinning. I hope we can disagree in a civilized manner... In many instances, with various techniques and types of thread, a thread base on the hook can be beneficial to tying deer hair flies.

I suggest using foam instead of deer hair on small panfish flies, say size 8 and smaller, unless you are really comfortable working with deer hair.

JS

im also looking for a few ice fly patterns.................i saw the two in the database, but am hopefully going ice fishing soon and in need of a few flies