Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TheBigLost

Are you bamboo?

Does anyone here consistently fish bamboo?

I inherited 3 bamboo rods (not expensive ones) and want to fish one of them.

Am I a fool?

not a fool. fish them all.

i have one from Carlin. i love casting it. it just has such a cool feel. you will love it, especially if you are like me, and all your other rods are Fast action. slowing down to cast the 'boo just adds so much more to the experience. you will enjoy it too. i am sure of it.

I really love to pull out a bamboo on the beaver ponds and slow holds. It feels completely different once you get a fish on the end...you feel them more??? that is the best way i can describe it. I have several bamboo rods and am sure at least 2 are older than me. Enjoy it... it makes you feel more complete with tradition also. Just remember to widen the angle on your forward and back casts some to make up for less flex.

Hi Big Lost, I fish two cane rods I own at least a few times a year, a 3 weight 6 1/2 foot, made by George Hinde, and a 7 foot 4 weight unknown maker, old rod. It is quite fun. You really need to slow down, and feel the rod load. I only fish dries on them, but it is really fun and historic feeling. After you are done for the day, wipe it down, and when storing leave the cap off the tube so it can breathe.

Cheers, Futzer.

Bamboo is fantastic to fish with. I currently have 4 cane rods myself. Like was mentioned it takes a slower wider casting stroke, but once you get use to it there's just nothing like the feel of a good cane rod.

The biggest thing about them is storage. Bamboo rods will get a 'set" in them if they arent cared for properly so always store them laying flat if you plan to not use them for awhile.

Steve

Bamboo is fantastic to fish with. I currently have 4 cane rods myself. Like was mentioned it takes a slower wider casting stroke, but once you get use to it there's just nothing like the feel of a good cane rod.

The biggest thing about them is storage. Bamboo rods will get a 'set" in them if they arent cared for properly so always store them laying flat if you plan to not use them for awhile.

Thanks Steve, I was storing them vertically in my rod case, but now I'll lay them down...maybe under my bed.

Hi Big Lost, I fish two cane rods I own at least a few times a year, a 3 weight 6 1/2 foot, made by George Hinde, and a 7 foot 4 weight unknown maker, old rod. It is quite fun. You really need to slow down, and feel the rod load. I only fish dries on them, but it is really fun and historic feeling. After you are done for the day, wipe it down, and when storing leave the cap off the tube so it can breathe.

Cheers, Futzer.

Thanks Futzer,

I was curious about the care of the rod after fishing it. I am looking forward to fishing them all this summer....actually can't wait now.

I fish a little (3wt, 6 1/2 foot) Orvis cane rod several times each year, a surprise gift from a pretty lady some years ago. Outfitted with a 2 wt DT line, it is a treat to fish on small creeks with small dry flies; opens the season with spring olives and revisited during the Trico hatches. As others noted, it is a slow, rhythmic casting style.

A 2-3 wt is a pleasure on a fine day :) , unbearable in a Wyoming breeze. :(

A 2-3 wt is a pleasure on a fine day , unbearable in a Wyoming breeze.

WYKnot, there is always a WY breeze :rolleyes: Futzer

There are certains small streams in the bighorns that are perfect for a small cane rod. but I am sworn to secrecy.

A 2-3 wt is a pleasure on a fine day , unbearable in a Wyoming breeze.

WYKnot, there is always a WY breeze :rolleyes: Futzer

There are certains small streams in the bighorns that are perfect for a small cane rod. but I am sworn to secrecy.

Notice that most everyone is talking about short, light line 'boos, and I agree. But the OP more than likely inherited longer, heavier rods. A nine footer for a seven weight can be a fine fishing rod but, for those used to plastic rods, it feels like a club. My personal upper limit is a 7 1/2 footer or, if it's a fine taper, 8 foot for a 5 or 6 weight. Just my opinion, but there it is!

Chuck

[i was curious about the care of the rod after fishing it. I am looking forward to fishing them all this summer....actually can't wait now.

Never put it away wet ! Take a dry washcloth & wipe it down thoroughly after use &/or let it air dry for a while; that way it'll never take a set. Since some rods are impregnated, not too much worry about water intrusion for them; but other cane rod owners still like a bamboo rod wax treatment for their bamboo. :rolleyes:

Part of the enjoyment of these things is in their use. There's always a risk of damage, but you also have the chance for a memorable catch. I have a Carlin that I take out kayaking in the Everglades. I rinse and dry after use, and store vertical for a few days before it goes back in the tube.

post-4245-1231087950_thumb.jpg