Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fred H.

Size 10 spring crawfish

Great little cray!! I can see the Brooks going crazy after that in the spring.

tyrite

Thanks for the comments guys It wont be long before the live crawfish reach this size down here.I can't wait to catch some live specimens so I can match all the color variations.

Looks great. I've caught many big trout with crayfish in their bellies.

what size would you use for trout ?. I've been catching bass and crappie on this size.

We don't have trout down here and I'm always confused when I see giant trout caught on a size 32 and then see a smaller trout caught on a deerhair mouse.

I've caught trout with the baby crayfish like your fly resembles , but I've caught 6 pound inland river brown trout with pretty much full size adult crayfish in their bellies. I'd have to guess about 2 1/2 or 3 inches long. When trout get over 16 inches they turn to primarily meat eaters. Besides the average chub and shiner I've pullled from their stamach pouch ( I like to see what they have been eating ) I've pulled out frogs , mice , pearch , baby bluegills , smaller trout , and other such things. One 24 inch brown I caught had several shiners in his stomach , plus some rather large black nymphs ( I wish i knew what kind ). Break time is over - time to get back to work. Great looking crawfish fly - Can't wait to see more in various colors and sizes. Craig

I've caught trout with the baby crayfish like your fly resembles , but I've caught 6 pound inland river brown trout with pretty much full size adult crayfish in their bellies. I'd have to guess about 2 1/2 or 3 inches long. When trout get over 16 inches they turn to primarily meat eaters. Besides the average chub and shiner I've pullled from their stamach pouch ( I like to see what they have been eating ) I've pulled out frogs , mice , pearch , baby bluegills , smaller trout , and other such things. One 24 inch brown I caught had several shiners in his stomach , plus some rather large black nymphs ( I wish i knew what kind ). Break time is over - time to get back to work. Great looking crawfish fly - Can't wait to see more in various colors and sizes. Craig

Hi, do you mean when you say trout turn to meat eaters that they turn in to ferrox "ferrox is the term we use when trout start to become like fresh water pike they eateverything which they can get" over here they are pretty rare but they do exist there are several dedicated groups that fish for them in our deep lochs

Hi Fred, The biggest trout won't bother with 32s or midges, but it is a supply and demand thing. If the midges are super abundant and other food items less, that is what they will target. I have seen many trout with full sized Crawdads in them, but they are not available in every piece of water. I have witnessed a 20 inch brown trout with a 16 inch rainbow half way swallowed, we were floating the Green river and thought we'd witnessed a lost stringer with live fish on it, so we caught up to it and netted the pair, boy were we surprized. I really like the one you tied, and will work on some of my own, the tail is especially good, as it will fold and flip.

Cheers, Jeff.

Hi, do you mean when you say trout turn to meat eaters that they turn in to ferrox "ferrox is the term we use when trout start to become like fresh water pike they eateverything which they can get" over here they are pretty rare but they do exist there are several dedicated groups that fish for them in our deep lochs

Hi , I've never heard that term used in Wisconsin , but I have read about Ferrox trout in Europe and such places. I don't really tie flys , but I make my own spinners and tie tails on treble hooks for them. When I fish for trout I use my spinners , large rapalas , and spoons. I even sometimes use a #11 or #13 Rapala ( 3 hookers ) , when I'm after the really big meat eaters. I'd rather catch one or two large trout than 30 little ones. Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying that big trout never eat small insects ( Flys ) , they do ( Especially when a big hatch is going on - or the Hexagena Mayfies come out ) , but I typically think a large trout would rather grab a big meal than have to eat 100's of flys to equal one big meal. I am by no means a trout expert , but this is just my way of thinking. I have caught dozens of inland brown trout between 20" and 26" and have lost some that I know had to hit the 30" mark. I wish I knew how to fly fish , because I have tried it - and couldn't catch a chub much less a trout. I wish I had someone to teach me how. When I'm on the Wolf River near my house and there is someone flyfishing - I can't help but to take a break on a rock and watch how gracefull it is. It makes me feel kinda like a hack , but I do catch big trout - I just wish I could do it on a flyrod. I think I'd be more of a streamer fisherman to immitate a bigger meatier meal - Maybe someday. Happy Fishing , Craig (wolfriverfisher)

Hi , I've never heard that term used in Wisconsin , but I have read about Ferrox trout in Europe and such places. I don't really tie flys , but I make my own spinners and tie tails on treble hooks for them. When I fish for trout I use my spinners , large rapalas , and spoons. I even sometimes use a #11 or #13 Rapala ( 3 hookers ) , when I'm after the really big meat eaters. I'd rather catch one or two large trout than 30 little ones. Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying that big trout never eat small insects ( Flys ) , they do ( Especially when a big hatch is going on - or the Hexagena Mayfies come out ) , but I typically think a large trout would rather grab a big meal than have to eat 100's of flys to equal one big meal. I am by no means a trout expert , but this is just my way of thinking. I have caught dozens of inland brown trout between 20" and 26" and have lost some that I know had to hit the 30" mark. I wish I knew how to fly fish , because I have tried it - and couldn't catch a chub much less a trout. I wish I had someone to teach me how. When I'm on the Wolf River near my house and there is someone flyfishing - I can't help but to take a break on a rock and watch how gracefull it is. It makes me feel kinda like a hack , but I do catch big trout - I just wish I could do it on a flyrod. I think I'd be more of a streamer fisherman to immitate a bigger meatier meal - Maybe someday. Happy Fishing , Craig (wolfriverfisher)

Craig it sounds like you have the desire. You just need someone help you a little. Fly fishing and tying can become an all consuming passion once it takes you . I'm not sure we would be doing you a favor. The easiest way would be to get a local guide . He can show you how to read the water , what flies to use and help you with your casting. But be warned once you cross over there might be no going back.

Fred

basically Fred big trout are convienence eaters they will eat whatever drifts through their strike zone as long as they don't have to expend much energy to eat it I have caught a brown over 20 inches on size 28 mosquito released it by cutting my tippet because he was hooked deep the next night I caught the same fish on a 4/0 deer hair mouse still had my mosquito in his throat I ended up keeping him that night for dinner

basically Fred big trout are convienence eaters they will eat whatever drifts through their strike zone as long as they don't have to expend much energy to eat it I have caught a brown over 20 inches on size 28 mosquito released it by cutting my tippet because he was hooked deep the next night I caught the same fish on a 4/0 deer hair mouse still had my mosquito in his throat I ended up keeping him that night for dinner

I think you were replying to my post that Fred Quoted. I agree with you whole heartedly , except the term I use is opertunistic instead of convienece. I guess basically the point that I was trying to get across is that big trout will take a bigger lure than most people would think that they would take. I'd guess that trout are opertunistic feeders 80% of the time and selective feeders 20% of the time. Like I said before - "I'm not a trout expert" , but I have caught many large trout. If a small insect or fly is in a large trouts feeding lane chances are quite good he'll eat it. Craig