Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Charlie Franklin

Strung Rooster or Rooster saddle/Neck/cape?

What is the best materials to work with in the following situations? (Strung Rooster, Rooster Cape, neck or saddle)

1) tying salmon flies like the Comet, Skykomish Sunrise, ETC.

2) tying small trout flies

3) tying artistic salmon flies

4) tying larger trout flies

5) any other tying situations you can think of

I was just wondering what your takes are on this one.

Charlie

What is the best materials to work with in the following situations? (Strung Rooster, Rooster Cape, neck or saddle)

1) tying salmon flies like the Comet, Skykomish Sunrise, ETC.

2) tying small trout flies

3) tying artistic salmon flies

4) tying larger trout flies

5) any other tying situations you can think of

I was just wondering what your takes are on this one.

Charlie

I can only comment on #3 i would say strung shaped like a Christmas tree. for the body work and schlappin for the throat

Rocky

the reason I ask is because I find that the strung rooster hackle packs are always so big for size 1/0 - 8.

thanks e. oregon midge

Charlie

i like rooster cape for traditonal small dry flies.I also like grizzly saddle capes for some dries,like a parachute or # 14 and bigger dry flies.Saddle capes are also good for legs on my crawdads and collars on nymphs.The last saddle i got was from j stockard and i love it ,allot of uses for it.

my 2 cents

shane

I think that "best" is a personal thing, what one person likes best, may not be the same for another.

I primarily tie larger size bass & saltwater flies, sizes from 4 up to 4/0, so strung neck or saddle hackle work better for me. For smaller flies, like those for flats fishing, size 8 to 2, where hackles are used, wet fly capes, and even indian capes have some use. Some hen saddles for wrapping collars & such.

I don't get to fish for trout much at all, so don't tie many trout flies, hardly any dries, but I do use some, terrestrials, nymphs, wets & streamers occasionally. I have a few good dry fly capes that will tie down to about size 16. I only have black, brown & grizzly dry fly capes. My dries are usually ants, or hopper patterns, maybe a few elk or deer hair caddis, but that's about it. I use trout flies for panfish more so than for trout.

For wets & nymphs, I have several hen necks & saddles, plus some strung saddles that I use.

For streamers, the same wet fly capes for small ones & strung neck or saddles for larger sizes. If the streamer requires a collar, I use the strung saddles more than anything.

Its a joke. Most fly tyers buy way more than they really need mostly out of a "I do not have one of thoes yet necessity"

I see Day5 replied that he was just joking. I fall into the category of tyers that have way too much stuff, but just can't stop getting more. I have a room for tying that has an 18 foot counter with floor to seiling shelves. My materials collection fills 2/3 of the space, and a dresser as well. Yet most of this stuff is for tying fishing flies. I am still building a collection of materials so that I can get into classic and freestyle Salmon Flys, not to mention the classic wets and streamers. In 50 plus years of tying, I haven't tied 50 flys just for show, so I am still in the market for material. Its an addiction, but I can quit any time, if I have to, I guess. (Who said that?)

I think he was just yanking your fly line. (Comment made while Day5 was responding.)

If your tying mostly small dry flies, 16 and smaller, then good dry fly necks are the way to go. You can purchase Keogh, Spencer, Metz Whiting, and a few others that have plenty of smaller hackles. You don't necessarily have to get the best grade. The top graded necks will have the least amount of web, longer feathers, more small sizes and be the best of the color lot. You would eventually want to get a red brown, a chocolate brown, a grizzly, a dun, a ginger and white in the best grade. Starting out, get a red brown, and a grizzly first grade neck. A second or the tyers grades will be less expensive. these are good buys in the fringe colors. I look for cree, and variant color necks when ever I am in a shop. I have some brownish dun necks, variagated gingers in several shades, and a couple of different shades of dun, and cream that I have picked up over the years. Currently counting 26 Dry fly necks.

In addition I have first quality saddles from Hoffman, and Metz that have very long, stiff, and glossy hackles. These are excellent for sizes 12, 14 and some are even able to tie a size 16. Most of these are for stimulators, and other attractor patterns for fast water. Three each in Grizzly, and brown and a couple of whites and one dun.

Second grade saddles are mostly for tying wooly buggers and other nymph patters. There are even bugger saddles with longer larger softer hackles. All togeather my soft saddle collection is 34 different saddles.

I use strung streamer and schlappen mostly for tying classic wet flies, and steelhead flies. I have strung saddles in yellow, kingfisher blue, white, red, orange, several shades of brown, olive, and grizzley or chinchilla. Most of these I picked up through the years at craft stores. I worked for a long time in a tackle store, and one of the local craft supplies started up a wholesale fly tying department. Since they were looking to expand, I got my mother into selling for them. She ended up with the full set of samples when the company went out of business (caused by events unrelated to material sales.)

I have a lifetime supply of neck and saddle capes, and a large assortment of strung saddle and schlappen, but I still pickup an occasional item if I see something just a lilttle different that I know I just have to have. When I moved the last couple of times, I gave away about half my material collection, and still I have a room full. I setup a neice and nephew with complete kits last summer, each with a jumbo tackle box of materials and sets of tools. You don't have to buy it all at once, but you can never have too much hackle no matter what form. Take your time, and pickup the hackle you need gradually, buy what works for your needs at the time.

I see Day5 replied that he was just joking. I fall into the category of tyers that have way too much stuff, but just can't stop getting more. I have a room for tying that has an 18 foot counter with floor to seiling shelves. My materials collection fills 2/3 of the space, and a dresser as well. Yet most of this stuff is for tying fishing flies. I am still building a collection of materials so that I can get into classic and freestyle Salmon Flys, not to mention the classic wets and streamers. In 50 plus years of tying, I haven't tied 50 flys just for show, so I am still in the market for material. Its an addiction, but I can quit any time, if I have to, I guess. (Who said that?)

I think he was just yanking your fly line. (Comment made while Day5 was responding.)

If your tying mostly small dry flies, 16 and smaller, then good dry fly necks are the way to go. You can purchase Keogh, Spencer, Metz Whiting, and a few others that have plenty of smaller hackles. You don't necessarily have to get the best grade. The top graded necks will have the least amount of web, longer feathers, more small sizes and be the best of the color lot. You would eventually want to get a red brown, a chocolate brown, a grizzly, a dun, a ginger and white in the best grade. Starting out, get a red brown, and a grizzly first grade neck. A second or the tyers grades will be less expensive. these are good buys in the fringe colors. I look for cree, and variant color necks when ever I am in a shop. I have some brownish dun necks, variagated gingers in several shades, and a couple of different shades of dun, and cream that I have picked up over the years. Currently counting 26 Dry fly necks.

In addition I have first quality saddles from Hoffman, and Metz that have very long, stiff, and glossy hackles. These are excellent for sizes 12, 14 and some are even able to tie a size 16. Most of these are for stimulators, and other attractor patterns for fast water. Three each in Grizzly, and brown and a couple of whites and one dun.

Second grade saddles are mostly for tying wooly buggers and other nymph patters. There are even bugger saddles with longer larger softer hackles. All togeather my soft saddle collection is 34 different saddles.

I use strung streamer and schlappen mostly for tying classic wet flies, and steelhead flies. I have strung saddles in yellow, kingfisher blue, white, red, orange, several shades of brown, olive, and grizzley or chinchilla. Most of these I picked up through the years at craft stores. I worked for a long time in a tackle store, and one of the local craft supplies started up a wholesale fly tying department. Since they were looking to expand, I got my mother into selling for them. She ended up with the full set of samples when the company went out of business (caused by events unrelated to material sales.)

I have a lifetime supply of neck and saddle capes, and a large assortment of strung saddle and schlappen, but I still pickup an occasional item if I see something just a lilttle different that I know I just have to have. When I moved the last couple of times, I gave away about half my material collection, and still I have a room full. I setup a neice and nephew with complete kits last summer, each with a jumbo tackle box of materials and sets of tools. You don't have to buy it all at once, but you can never have too much hackle no matter what form. Take your time, and pickup the hackle you need gradually, buy what works for your needs at the time.

I was in my local fly fishing store the other day and they had a couple of dyed rooster necks by wapsi for 15 dollars is that a good buy. but their dry fly necks are 25 dollars and up.

Charlie