Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fcflyguy

color for clouser minnows

Whats is your fav color combo for this fly pic would b great

mine yellow gold flash and black

and if anyone wants in I have a clouser swap going on now

thanks FC

I have two favorite colors. The standard Chartreuse and White (pearl or green krystal flash and green flashabou) or an orange belly and brown back version (rust or orange krystal flash and brown flashabou). Sorry I do not have any pictures at the moment. I can provide recipes if anyone wants one.

- Olórin gandalfstaff.gif

I keep several color combinations in my fly boxes, but chartreuse & white is likely the one I use the most. I add a little gold or silver holographic mixed with a few strands of pearl. Olive & white is probably my next most used. Don't have a camera, so don't don't have any pics, sorry.

Here's the colors I always carry. These are in my bass & saltwater boxes. Sizes range from 6 up to 3/0

chartreuse/white

olive/white

grey/white

tan/white

purple/white

all white

all black

black/white

black/purple

brown/orange

grey/yellow

olive/yellow

red/white

pink/white

hot pink/chartreuse

hot pink/white

In addition, I tie several crayfish color combo's in shades of browns, tans & greens (dark olive most), with a little red, blue, purple or orange thrown in. I tie these with various materials too, coyote tail, fox tail, squirrel tail & of course deer tail.

One of my favorite smallmouth bass clousers is an all black version tied with ostrich herl. Excellent leech fly.

FC, I missed your question about hooks. I use several types, but the ones I use most are Mustad C71S SS, S74S SS, 3407, 34007, 34011, Daiichi 2546, Dai-Riki 930 for saltwater, Daiichi 1750 or similar for freshwater, plus I use some non-fly hooks, like Gamakatsu, Owner & Mustad straight shank worm hooks or spinnerbait hooks. The worm hooks are hard to find in sizes smaller than 1/0, but when I can find them I use from size 2 up to 3/0.

In the past, I used a lot of Mustad 3366 or 9674 style hooks but have gotten away from them just because the others mentioned are better quality & much sharper from the box. Still, they're both fine & fairly inexpensive hooks, especially if you fish for panfish.

For small panfish size Clousers I've used various Aberdeen type hooks, which are fine wire & usually much less expensive than fly hooks. Good hooks if you're on a tight budget.

There are many models of hooks that can be used.

By far my most successful color combo(for smallies) is blue over white.

For hooks I use Mustad 3366s 100% of the time. From what I have read that is the hook that Clouser used when he designed the pattern.

I type mine in a few diff patterns but my fav one is what i call a sunperch or sunfish pattern.

It is made up of 6 to 7 colors..

Belly == white and orange (buck tail bright )

Gills == red (buck tail were it just shows behind the eyes just showing alittle)

flash and flashaboo== pearl or cooper and alittle black ( just to the tips of the hair )

mid body == black ( buck tail just short of the tail )

top body == olive ( buck tail just past the black )

Also works great on 10 and 12's for perch and bigger from there..

And as for as hooks really what ever i can get my hands on inless told a special type or targeting good fighting fish..

dont have pics right now..

Chance

My go-to Clouser for smallies is chartreuse over white. If it makes them happy, then I'm happy! But maybe I'll try a few blue over white this spring.

Chuck

My favorite clouser for stripers is all white with pearl crystal flash and chartreuse over white with pearl crystal. I usually use bead chain eyes or small white with black pupil lead eyes. I like the fly small about 2 inches.

As far as hooks go. I usually use mustad 34007 or 34011. I like the really long shank when the fish are hitting short. I have also used Mustad C71S SS circle streamer hook.

Here is a couple of flies that the blue fish loved to eat.

91708003.jpg

Dan

txflytier, could you post a pic of your fly.

Thanks Dan

I will try it looks great to me and fish love it..

Nice ty Dan looks great..

Thanks Chance

Like alot of the others I prefer chartreuse/white, but I have done well with chartreuse/hot pink (electric chicken) with pink Krystal Flash. For some reason the trout and reds love that combination down here on the Florida west coast. I have also had some luck with a half and half of grey over white with a tail of grizzly hackle and krystal flash